diyAudio reference speaker project

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Great threads never really die.
Bringing this back to the top because I just scored a pair of D27-45-06 on eBay and I was happy to pay the somewhat exorbitant cost, mainly because I have a high regard for this combination and I still have several pairs of P-13s on the shelf.
I've a couple of SB drivers just asking to be used as per rabbitz posts above but still renovating etc:
Still debating box size as these will be used in the bedroom and 10 litres might be a bit big, I could get away with 5 litres sealed as too much bass and it's more difficult to get to sleep.
BTW
Thanx for all your help over the decades Peter

Ted

Well, here's a blast form the past.

5 litre sealed will have hardly any bass and even the 5.2 litre vented original design can just break the 80Hz barrier.

You may want to check if the surrounds on the P13s have not gone hard after all these years.

For reference, here are the different xo's for this speaker.
diyAudio reference speaker project - Page 5 - diyAudio

The small box (disregard the xo)
diyAudio reference speaker project

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Funny When I met SWMBO the lady had no understanding of music reproduction or the importance of that fundamental bass. Today while playing I was informed that "They sound tinny and no bass" so maybe I created a monster and the bedroom speakers will be 2.5 as originally planned. In our computer room her self has a subwoofer and I don't; does that tell you anything??
Rubber is still good

I know what you are saying Ted. Mine's the opposite as she doesn't like too much bass but I don't sign off on a design unless SHE has had a listen.

On the computer I don't have a sub as it's nearfield but do have woofer assistance on most of the other systems in there. In the lounge, my mains have F3=38Hz but a cheap commercial Cambridge sub does add a lot to the sound on most tracks.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OMG the shed is a mess but I need to saw some wood soon even if I have to cut the panels and holes by hand
However I just had a thought, probably a really bad one; but how would a mass loaded TL go using this driver? Too large for the bedroom I'm guessing but I'm hopeless with the programming of the calculators for these

OMG the shed is a mess but I need to saw some wood soon even if I have to cut the panels and holes by hand
However I just had a thought, probably a really bad one; but how would a mass loaded TL go using this driver? Too large for the bedroom I'm guessing but I'm hopeless with the programming of the calculators for these

I would check out this video and hopefully boost your confidence
with calculators/programming

Hornresp tutorial - How to design a transmission line enclosure - YouTube

Hi everybody,
I'm following the forum for a while and it's time to share my first project. I wouldn't go in deep explanations and will just give info about what I was using in that set:
Box: APEX2181 - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 23
Woofers: Peerless SDS-P830657 (Vifa SDS 6-25/08) - Coated Paper buy at hifisound.de

Tweeters: Visaton SC 10 N Shielded buy at hifisound.de
Caps:
HIFIDIY LIVE Silver MKP capacitor non polar frequency divider capacitor AUDIO nourishments 8.2uf 10uf 12uf 15uf 18uf22uf33uf47uf|Speaker Accessories| - AliExpress
HIFIDIY LIVE Silver MKP capacitor non polar frequency divider capacitor AUDIO nourishments 1.0uf 2.2uf 3.3uf 4.7uf 5.6uf 6.8uf|Speaker Accessories| - AliExpress
Inductors: Visaton Air Coil d1.0 mm
Unfortunately I don't know how to share pictures of the finished speakers.
It took to me almost a year to finish them.
So for cabinet I used 18mm MDF. There I spend a lot of time especially for painting. It's the worst part of the job.
The final XO (after hours of tuning, soldering, recalculating) looks:
Tweeters:
2-nd order C=8.03 uF (real values), L=0.59 mH,
L-pad Rser=3 Ohm/5W, Rpar=5 Ohm/5W
Tweeters are inverted of course :)
Woofers:
2-nd order L=0.58 mH, C=8.02 uF, impedance equalisation R=7.5 Ohm/5W, C=6.5 uF (2 caps in parallel were used).
Due to the small box I decided to use separate small circuit boards for low and high pass filters.
So despite the fights with my wife during building process I'm really happy with the end result.
Now they are placed in my leaving room and are used constantly.
I believe almost every enthusiast could start with this project. Of course they will be a lot of surprises, which every new in that hobby should pass through :).
Regards

And the expense plan:
peerless sds-830657 2*27€=54€
visaton sc10N 2*20€=40€
industors 0.68mH/1.0mm 4*15€=60€
Caps 8.2uF 4*4€=16€ + delivery
Caps 4.7uF + 2.2 uF 2*8€=16€ + delivery
Resistors 6*0.6€=3.6€
circuit boards 9x5cm 4*2€=8€
box terminals 2*7€=14€
screws (mounting W&T) 5€
precuted MDF 18mm boards 50€
glue 250 ml 8*7€= 56€
MDF primer 5l 1*48€
spray paint 400ml 10*5€=50€
total: 420.60 €
So you have to consider that hobby is not cheep! And that is the minimum cost if we not consider the costs of the tools and mistakes!
I will definitely do some more projects!