Full range cardioid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you and yes, funny that you mention them. They happen to be friends of mine and they brought me the idea of building a cardioid speaker :p

Applied the first layer of primer and one layer of woodstain.

Attachments

• Center_sub_casco.jpg
    Center_sub_casco.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Center_sub_primer.jpg
    Center_sub_primer.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Fronts_beits.jpg
    Fronts_beits.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,222
First measurements are in on cardioid behaviour of top cabinets. First tried without filling of the u frame behind the woofer, resulting in dipole radiation below the 1/4 wave resonance of the u frame en tending towards omnidirectional at the 1/4 wave resonance. Than added one layer of rockwool at a time. Optimal result was 4 layers of high density Rockwool of 50mm thick (so 20cm in total). Still some influence of the 1/4 wave resonance is visible but now polar is tending towards cardioid with 10dB+ LF cancellation at 180degrees. Results are quite similar to the prototype cabinets, now only with minor differences between the left and right (top) cabinet, which were probably related to leaky prototype enclosure. Im still going to try to add one more layer of rockwool to see if it further reduces the influence of the 1/4 and 1/2 wave resonance of the uframe.

Attachments

• Rockwool_20cm.png
    Rockwool_20cm.png
    55 KB · Views: 396
  • No_damping.png
    No_damping.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 513
  • Top3.jpg
    Top3.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Tops2.jpg
    Tops2.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 1,252
  • Tops.jpg
    Tops.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 1,284
Here is a crazy idea.

Why not build a electronic bass trap for total cancelation of bass behind the speaker?
A monopole with a mic close to the cone as input. With the right polarity the cone should try to cancel all sound that reach the mic.

Not crazy and certainly doable, although a mic isn't needed. 2 elements with the right delay will create a cardioid. Jag is simply creating the same thing with acoustical delay through his cabinet.

Jag, very good results so far. Is the pattern maintained below 100Hz?

David

Hello Jag768,

just a practical question,

when using the Hypex PSC 2.400 in the mono subwoofer and listening to stereo,

where do you get the stereo summing signal from, to feed into your subwoofer ?

Kind Regards
actually i use two psc 2.400s for 4 subs in total. So i run them stereo. Of course you could also sum the signal and feed them to both psc 2.400s, but probably it wont matter much in practice since bass is mostly monaureal anyway :)

Jag, very good results so far. Is the pattern maintained below 100Hz?

David
The garden i have used for measurements allow for a ~10ms gate, so i dont have reliable data for <100Hz. However, looking at the polar data is appears that the cardioid behaviour is lost <100Hz. The range <100Hz is covered by four subs placed throughout the room.

Some more pics are attached showing the final build, measurement setup, the filter simulation and on axis response. And horizontal directivity data shown in overlay in 10 degree steps, sonogram and polar.

Attachments

• Final polar - DI pattern mid.png
    Final polar - DI pattern mid.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Final polar - DI pattern low.png
    Final polar - DI pattern low.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 275
  • Filter ontwerp on axis response.png
    Filter ontwerp on axis response.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Filter simulatie.png
    Filter simulatie.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 321
  • Directivity_overlays.png
    Directivity_overlays.png
    48 KB · Views: 382
  • Directivity_sonogram.png
    Directivity_sonogram.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 514
  • Meten4.jpg
    Meten4.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 547
  • Final.jpg
    Final.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 487
  • Woofers2.jpg
    Woofers2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Woofers.jpg
    Woofers.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 446
Yes; a very impressive project.

Getting good amplitude matching is a key. Getting phase response of monopole and dipole elements and center to center distance to behave above dipole's natural peak is very difficult.

I've made a cardioid reference of limited SPL do to driver size; but demonstrate integration required to get 100Hz to about 1kHz:

466348d1424184054-cardioid-sum-monopole-dipole-speakers-normal-woofer-signal.png

Above are indoor measured at about 2 feet. Display is 110ms left and right windows with speaker about 5ft from walls and tweeter at listening height.

Your hand off to horn is excellent!

Some more pics are attached showing the final build, measurement setup, the filter simulation and on axis response. And horizontal directivity data shown in overlay in 10 degree steps, sonogram and polar.

Congrats, tour de force! Very similar to Kimmo's KS-1807, even the Hypex plate amp!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Congrats, tour de force! Very similar to Kimmo's KS-1807, even the Hypex plate amp!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you. Looking quite similar indeed.

Most impressive especially what you achieve in the midrange!

Any further details about the construction (e.g. why you do not use side vents)? These seems much better.

Yes, side vents is something i would still like to try some day. I actually started with side vents, only situated more to the back. Couldnt get it to work. Bu my initial test enclosure was too difficult. In a later stage i added extra openings right after the baffle or halfway the u frame, neither worked very well. I might try to build a new test enclosure some day for testing side vents, a lot of people seem to have achieved good results with those!

So, time to move on and do a revision :). A couple of things i'd like to improve:
- user friendliness: the Hypex amps (5 in total) need to be powered on individually because of start up current. I switched amps for my subs and i will do a passive filter for the tops.
- midrange directivity: can be improved. Im going to try to use slots to reduce the midrange widening of the polar. I will test this on a test enclosure and then copy it to the "real" version.
- high frequency DI: it's a bit too narrow. Im thinking about ways to construct a waveguide which has a wider dispersion. I got a test baffle from a friend, and made an adaptor for a flat wavefront. Not perfect, but quite ok i would think.

Now i need to think of an economical way to make a new baffle and waveguide. Either wood/cnc, plaster or polyester. Im not sure which way to go.

Attachments

• 15mm_convertor_polar.png
    15mm_convertor_polar.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,332
  • 15mm_convertor_overlays.png
    15mm_convertor_overlays.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 15mm_convertor_response.png
    15mm_convertor_response.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_20160902_204318.jpg
    IMG_20160902_204318.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 1,381
  • IMG_20160830_202836.jpg
    IMG_20160830_202836.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 1,403
Today i made a test waveguide out of plaster.

I used an oblate spheriod profile (theta=50degrees) only using a large transition radius with the baffle of 6 inch. So the actual OS part is quite short. It's a 10inch waveguide with 2inch length.

attachment.php

Using 3 layers of 12mm mdf board, i made a test baffle

attachment.php

Cut out the profile with a jig saw and mounted it in the middle which proved to be the hardest part. The B&C DE250 needs to be mounted from the inside, which also posed a challenge.

attachment.php

And in with the plaster :) which is really easy to work with
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now i have to patient and let it dry before doing the first measurements. I hope next weekend!

Attachments

• Gips2.jpg
    Gips2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,879
  • Gips1.jpg
    Gips1.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,846
  • Draaimal.jpg
    Draaimal.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,847
  • Proefbaffle.jpg
    Proefbaffle.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1,838
  • Profiel_papier.jpg
    Profiel_papier.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,851
Is this "plaster of Paris" or something else?

Thanks,
Jp
How is your Dutch :D ? Here's what i used. I think its indeed plaster of paris. But normally this is used for walls/ceilings. There's also yellow band and gold band, which have larger grain size (suitable for thicker layers).

Sorry to stray off topic, but i was wondering on your impressions on the DE250 in the Dayton round guide?
It works quite well when you cut off the threaded part of the throat. This worked out quite well for me. No diffraction visible in the polar! But mounting the compression driver to the throat is a bit complicated, i made an adapter out of mdf board which surrounds the throat of the waveguide.

So the response it quite flat using the Dayton (see screenshot couple of posts ago). Polar is good as well, only very narrow (60 to 40 degrees from 1KHz to 16KHz). So that's the reason i'm making a new one.

Constant vs narrow directivity has become quite the debate these days and I'm finding more and more people unhappy with in home sound of waveguides and returning to conventional devices on flat baffles. I find the round guides offer the best set of compromises with smooth response and less HOMs......but still narrow.

FWIW, my cardioid experiments mimic yours very closely but sadly didn't work once the prototypes were placed in the room as I simply didn't have the needed clearance around the bass units which resulted in some unwelcome resonance peaks as well as some deep notches. A Corner system is where I'll have to go next I believe OR small monitors and LOTS of room treatment! Lol

First results are in. The last part broke off when taking off the back unfortunately (not unexpected though).

attachment.php

Its still looking rough
attachment.php

attachment.php

Amplitude response has improved considerably compared to the previous test baffle/waveguide i used. It's quite close to the Dayton waveguide on axis response (shown in green).
attachment.php

Only now the polar / dispersion is much wider, about 100degrees
attachment.php

attachment.php

Rounding off the baffle sides might improve some diffraction in the midrange. And im going to try improving the throat.

Attachments

• ProfielA ruw2.jpg
    ProfielA ruw2.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 1,703
  • ProfielA ruw.jpg
    ProfielA ruw.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Proefbaffle achterzijde.jpg
    Proefbaffle achterzijde.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 1,739
  • Sonogram.png
    Sonogram.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Overlay.png
    Overlay.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,702
  • Amplitude response.png
    Amplitude response.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,701
New measurements are in of the prototype enclosure for the revision of my cardioid enclosures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Full space measurements. Gate was set to 6.2ms. the wheater did not permit outdoor measurements :).

attachment.php

Resulting directivity sonogram quite closely resembles a cardiod in the range of interest (150 - 500Hz).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170204_135425.jpg
    20170204_135425.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 20170204_155744.jpg
    20170204_155744.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,678
  • 20170204_163602.jpg
    20170204_163602.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,673
  • 20170204_173430.jpg
    20170204_173430.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 1,792
  • 20170204_185654.jpg
    20170204_185654.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,789
  • 5d_40_fullspace.png
    5d_40_fullspace.png
    71 KB · Views: 1,688
Hey Jag768, nice project! The plaster waveguides and your new cardiod results look great.

What woofer are you currently using?

What material are you using inside the box?

What formulas did you use to calculate the position and dimensions of the side vents?

Cheers, Mark

Hey Jag768, nice project! The plaster waveguides and your new cardiod results look great.

What woofer are you currently using?

What material are you using inside the box?

What formulas did you use to calculate the position and dimensions of the side vents?

Cheers, Mark
There are no formulas that i know of :). 'The material that is used for the inside is Akortherm. The woofer is the AD R1030, from some less known chinese manufacturer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.