integrating sub into 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to build the AR.com kit, but I would like to build it as a floorstander, and integrate a side-firing 8-10" sub in the base (with bi-amping capability if not too complex beyond my means).

Since the upper filters/crossover is already designed/built, is this as simple as adding a 1st-order HPF on the mid (would this go before or after the crossover) and using a 1st order LPF, with a zobel, and the proper resistors for impedance leveling on the sub?

I have no auxiliary amp to use for biamping, so will use it like a 3-way, in the near-term, but if bi-amping would remove lots of headaches and problems with the crossover integration - I would probably just pony-up the $$$ for that second amp. I also thought there may be a way to use built-in amps, just for the subs.

Just FYI - I'm also considering building the Madisound Seas CYGNET MK2 KIT as a floorstander if building the AR.com kit with an integrated sub deems to complex for me.

Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance.

I think you should research a bit more. The AR.com design was controversial for a while because a minority of builders slammed it's midrange, and as a result GR Research and WJ at speakerbuilder.net sell/designed alternative crossovers. Putting a sub on a design with a controversial midrange performance might result in an ugly surprise for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.