Is it weird or not ? Reversing one tweeter-polarity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just found something interesting!

I had disassembled the tweeters to see their voice coil due to my curiosity that they may not be the same to each other.

And look! what I've found(image 1). They are really not be the same to each other!

See the left one, pointed by the yellow arrow was made of a silver-color material while the right one (red arrow) is copper-color. :confused:

So If the story of reversing polarity on one tweeter is real, Is it possible to interpret that a distinction between the two drivers is "a mark" that manufacturer had left for a clue ? -- in order to identify which one should be left or right.

By the way, come to think back, a normal second-order filter(image 2) generally required reversing polarity of one driver(woofer or tweeter) because it has 180-degree phase shift -- To my understanding, +90 degree from High-pass and -90 from low-pass. But in my case (image 3), there are only High-pass filter. Thus, my speaker maybe has only 90-degree phase shift (each cabinet).

If so, Is it possible to understand that reversing one-tweeter polarity was done in order to the idea that reversing one tweeter for converting one cabinet's phase to -90 degree(instead of +90) and let it go to cancel to the other that still being +90 degree ?

Attachments

• image (Small).jpg
    image (Small).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image_preview.jpg
    image_preview.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image_preview3.jpg
    image_preview3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I admire your willingness to look for meaning here, but there may be none. No secret sauce! :D

You can't predict phase or alignment from the electrical filters alone. It also depends on the mechanical filter and impedance that all drivers have. It can also depend on the time alignment. An unfiltered bass still has rolloff that affects phase.

I would guess these speakers align with positive polarity on both drivers, based on experience. You can test that tweeter polarity is right by applying a 1.5V battery across it. The cone or dome should move forward with positive connected to positive. That is the convention.

A different phase connection on the two speakers just makes no sense. Really.

Please make a impulse measurement of both tweeters. This can be done with your phone or a PC for free. You really don't know if they have opposite polarity if you don't measure. A well recorded (simple) solo pianioo concert is very good to identify faseproblems. There should be absolutely no widening/smearing of the piano. If you have this, you also have tweeters with the same polarity.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
presscot, you are great :D :up:

many of these threads seems to be more and more about bla bla :p

oh, btw, try and check magnet polarity
if they can put a wrong model label on a very expencive quality woofer, I guess anything is possible
maybe someone told the factory workers your speakers should be 'mirror imaged, and they just overdid it :clown:

system7 ,Kjeldsen,

I've already tested them. But there's not a solo-piano because, unfortunately, I don't have a kind of that music but a euro-disco named "Silver Convention" :D. I have to say among these methods; both precised, both reversed, and reversed one tweeter, the latter gives the best sound for this speaker. A sound near x-point seems smoothest and have absolute direction.

tinitus,

yes, my speaker is mirror imaged type. :)

Last edited:
I have noticed that the higher end vintage Infinity speakers (above Kappa 9s) also have reversed polarity tweeters, but that is on the rear firing tweeters, and on both L & R sides.
You can see the various schematics on Klaus Pohlig's Infinity site.
There must have been some reflection / imaging effect they were after.
Might be worth experimenting with, if you have spare drivers on hand.

Just to confuse this thread a little more...
unsymmetric or odd order crossovers don't care much about polarity. But both speakers must be connected similarily!

Here is one of my commercial speakers for example

ps. other reason to not see polarity difference in measurements is very poor time alignment/phase match

Attachments

• he2 0¤ spl vs invert 9ms 124.png
    he2 0¤ spl vs invert 9ms 124.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
system7 ,Kjeldsen,

I've already tested them. But there's not a solo-piano because, unfortunately, I don't have a kind of that music but a euro-disco named "Silver Convention" :D. I have to say among these methods; both precised, both reversed, and reversed one tweeter, the latter gives the best sound for this speaker. A sound near x-point seems smoothest and have absolute direction.

tinitus,

yes, my speaker is mirror imaged type. :)

please measure and show impulse response here

If there is any confusion about driver polarity (mismarked, wrongly magnetized, etc.) the easiest simple test is to put pink noise (perhaps FM hiss) to both units in parallel and place them face to face. They should maintain full output, even when very close to each other.

Now connect one out of phase and bring them together. You should hear near total cancelation of all treble. The closer together the greater the cancelation.

I agree with the others. There is no good reason to have tweeters differently connected between 2 speakers of a pair.

David S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.