First pics of first build Seas 2-ways. Seas U18RNX/P, Seas 27TBFC/G.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks again Steve, I have corrected the link.
Yes bass light and a bit of sibilance around 4k.
I'll get my measurement equipment and software sorted then get them sounding much better, my baffle will have rounded edges and flush mounted drivers which will improve them again at HF and ready for new x-over.

It's not going to be very different from the Idunn filter:
Idunn

Possibly tweeter 3.9uf/0.25mH/6.8uF and attenuator after or resistor in front. Then you'd fiddle with the bass shunt. :)

I wouldn't buy too many coils based on my guesses, but I did find the tweeter filter needs to be quite shallow here. This all looks quite adjustable by ear.

It came out at shallow second order on the tweeter. My original guess was way too sharp. About 2.8kHz crossover.

Just regard this as a ballpark first guess. :eek:

I've been playing with series filters again too. Second below is what they look like for a cone tweeter. :cool:

Oh, buy whatever coils and resistors are cheap. Ferrite will do. You'll get through a few tweaking it for frequency response. Then fit the expensive stuff. You always use air coils on tweeters though.

Attachments

• SEAS U18 filter.PNG
    SEAS U18 filter.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Series Filter 6 inch bass.PNG
    Series Filter 6 inch bass.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
You're building a lossy cabinet here, so more bracing will be a mistake. I like what you've done.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/223174-interesting-read-i-found-lossy-cabinet-designs-harbeth.html

Yes they are meant to have some give so to speak, its part of there sound characteristics. My bbc speakers were absolutely not bass shy, they did a good job across the spectrum. I'm sorry for letting those ones go.

I wanted to also say I think you did a real good first attempt. Some peoples first second and even third attempts sometimes look like chopped liver with an extra side of silicone.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve i'll order sum cheap coils and resistors and get tweaking am sure I'll get them sounding better than they do now, until I get measurement gear and software.

Thanks SS4927, the cabs do have a bit of resonance as you would imagine.
There not too bad for a first design, few mistakes along the way but well learnt from, I can understand why people love building speakers. They have cost around £550 in 'rip off Britain'. They could of been built cheaper but am sure I'd pay a lot more in the local hifi shop for this sound quality once I re-design the crossovers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.