Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2's
Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2014, 08:03 PM   #1
jaikrishna is offline jaikrishna
diyAudio Member

Default Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2's

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum & have a problem with an overly bright tweeter on one of my Musical Fidelity MC2 loudspeakers (v1's), which presumably means the tweeter has 'blown' or the crossover is faulty?

Can anyone advise me about possible repair or replacement of the offending parts & help me restore some level of speaker performance?

Many thanks,
Old 27th April 2014, 11:17 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

Swap tweeters and see if the problem moves.
I assume you've already tried swapping the
speakers around to discount the electronics.

Drivers don't generally fail by becoming "bright",
unless your really talking about more distortion.

I have a pair of MC2 v1's, if its not the tweeters
then check over the x/o boards and its connections.
The terminals can become loose. I can't see any
of the treble x/o components going west really.

rgds, sreten.

The Elac tweeters are hard to source, in the UK at least.

Last edited by sreten; 27th April 2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 1st May 2014, 06:04 PM   #3
jaikrishna is offline jaikrishna
diyAudio Member

Default Musical Fidelity MC2's

Hi Sreten,

Many thanks for your advice & prompt reply!

I've since been able to open up the speakers to check the cross over boards & components having previously swapped the speakers to verify & duly eliminate the electronics.

I have found a loose connection inside the offending speaker! Coming off one of the speaker terminals is a very fine red coloured wire which runs into a small green plastic looking cotton reel, the wire then exits & runs to a soldered connection where 2 yellow cylindrical x/o components are joined, this fine red wire is completely loose on this connection (you can see where it was once soldered).
IMG_0340.jpg

I've attempted to include a photo attachment with this post, I've never done it before so I hope it's worked!

I'm waiting to borrow a soldering iron from a friend to fix the connection & then I'll try listening to see if this has cured the 'brightness' - I guess there is a level of distortion even at fairly low volumes - the sound is very 'splashy'.

From what I've explained do you feel that this faulty connection would cause the sound problems I've been experiencing?

Once again many thanks Sreten & I'll update you after the soldering is completed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0340.jpg (355.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 1st May 2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Zuhl is offline Zuhl  England
diyAudio Member

The MC2 tweeter crossover is third order electrical - capacitor, inductor, capacitor. Disconnect the inductor and you will have a very strange first order crossover, so yes, that is the cause of your problem. Solder the inductor wire back in place and all should be well again
Old 1st May 2014, 10:13 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi, I'd be surprised if it didn't fix the problem, rgds, sreten.

Check the other speaker for a similar issue.
Old 7th January 2020, 09:52 AM   #6
ginetto61 is offline ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi ! sorry to take up again the thread ... but i found and bought a pair of these MC2 first edition with the reflex port on the back.
The woofers coils scrape. I guess they must be pushed too much.
I wonder about replace them. I am out of home and i did not save the marking on the magnets ...
I understand they have been used by many british manufacturers like i think Mission, TDL, ???
The tweeters instead look very very serious with metallic dome (?) and sound ok ...
in the weekend i will try to upload the pics of the drivers.
The cabinet is quite heavy and caused me a bad back. No pain no gain.
Any suggestion would be very welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by ginetto61; 7th January 2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 7th January 2020, 08:55 PM   #7
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I looked at a few images and my first guess is that it uses an Elac bass unit.

As you say images of the rear of the bass speaker should help, and while you are inside the cabinet some crossover photos plus a hand drawn circuit diagram will help others understand more about the original design concept.

It could be tricky to find replacements, not impossible but tricky.

Do you know of the old trick of inverting, or rotating the bass units by 180 degrees this can sometimes solve the issue of rubbing voice coils caused by cone sag.
Old 8th January 2020, 08:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondj View Post
I looked at a few images and my first guess is that it uses an Elac bass unit.
As you say images of the rear of the bass speaker should help, and while you are inside the cabinet some crossover photos plus a hand drawn circuit diagram will help others understand more about the original design concept.
It could be tricky to find replacements, not impossible but tricky.
Hi ! thanks a lot for the very kind and helpful reply/advice.
I will do it in the weekend ... during the week i am out of home for my job.
I saw some marks ... the tweeter instead should be very easy to identify.
It could be a Seas maybe ? i will try to upload pictures

Quote:
Do you know of the old trick of inverting, or rotating the bass units by 180 degrees this can sometimes solve the issue of rubbing voice coils caused by cone sag
No. I do not understand. But moving the cones back and forth with fingers i hear the rubbings very clearly ...in one woofer much more than the other.
The coils are not interrupted i measured them being about 6.8 ohm ? the measurements are not precise.
I will be more clear later.
I like the tweeters and the cabinet quite heavy ... from reviews i gather the idea of a good rendition of voices and decent soundstage. For me more than a sign of sound quality.
Thanks again.
Have a nice day.
Old 8th January 2020, 10:32 AM   #9
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Much like ourselves loudspeaker cones and their suspensions are affected by gravity and they sag downwards over the years. This can cause voice coil rubbing. So simply undo the bass fro
Driver mounting screw's and rotate it by 180 degrees. If you are lucky this may stop the voice coil rubbing. Refit the screws and retry. Maybe wait a day or two even if it doesn't immediately cure the problem to see if they settle with no rubbing.
Old 8th January 2020, 10:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondj View Post
Much like ourselves loudspeaker cones and their suspensions are affected by gravity and they sag downwards over the years. This can cause voice coil rubbing. So simply undo the bass fro
Driver mounting screw's and rotate it by 180 degrees. If you are lucky this may stop the voice coil rubbing. Refit the screws and retry.
Maybe wait a day or two even if it doesn't immediately cure the problem to see if they settle with no rubbing.
Hi ! now i understand problem is that i have already dismantled them and they out of the box.
I will try to check if the rubbing changes rotating the woofer as i noticed at least with one woofer. Pushing below the midline was not producing noise. Moreover the cone material looks like plastics ...
But first i would like to check the quality of the tweeters ... if they are good as i think i could look for a nice new pair of woofers ... maybe even smaller with an adapter ring for mounting. These are 8" ... i could use 6.5-7" units without loosing much bass but with a better midrange ?

Last edited by ginetto61; 8th January 2020 at 10:45 AM.

Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2'sHide this!Advertise here!