Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2's
Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2's
Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2's Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 12:41 PM   #11
ginetto61 is offline ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi attaching pics of the label on woofer and tweeter for identification

As i said i am open to suggestion for woofer replacement even with units of smaller size that could work well enough without messing with the xover.
I still suffer of a badback ... i will try to look at the xover but i would like to keep it as it is maybe using better parts same values.
From what i read these speakers should give a nice soundstage and midrange.
Thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200113_102436.jpg (364.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200113_103324.jpg (476.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 14th January 2020, 07:52 PM   #12
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

22PPGHN isn't much to work with for the woofer spec.

PP could mean Polypropylene cone and the 8 may relate to the nominal impedance, 22 could be related to overall diameter, but I am guessing again.
Did you try rotating the speaker to see if it stops the rubbing sound? To help us further an image of the cone and the rest of the magnet and basket assembly may help. Failing that in terms of a replacement what is the diameter of the woofer cutout diameter of the cabinet, as that will help determine finding a replacement that fits nicely.

Tweeter is from Norway ! Hmm let me think, of course a SEAS type 25TAFC/G-MF H490 8 ohms again. I am sure if you contact seas they will offer advice on what their current closest design. But the tweeters are functional anyway so no need for immediate replacement. If you look at SEAS tweeters they all have a Hxxxx type designation these days so I couldn't see a simple match for it.
Keep us updated
Old 14th January 2020, 08:22 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Will this fit as it is a nice price, and you could work it either sealed or reflex with your MC2 cabinet, for sealed just stuff the port with Dacron or some similar material.

Seas P21RE/P H0942-08 Woofer. H0313 2015 remake

There will be several other alternatives for an 8" in a reflex box, and others may add their own ideas.

Last edited by raymondj; 14th January 2020 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 15th January 2020, 08:07 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondj View Post
22PPGHN isn't much to work with for the woofer spec.
PP could mean Polypropylene cone and the 8 may relate to the nominal impedance, 22 could be related to overall diameter, but I am guessing again.
Good morning ! yes unfortunately there is no brand/part number marked on the magnet If i had the skills and the instruments i could try to measure the parameters. I have only measured a DC resistance of about 6 ohm but not precisely.

Quote:
Did you try rotating the speaker to see if it stops the rubbing sound?
i am a little scared to connect an amp that could get damaged by these loads ? no problems ? in this case i could do another thing.
Like sending a let's say a continuous 100 Hz signal to the woofers and rotate them during the test ? could that help in some way ?
but i am growing skeptical ... the cones could be deformed

Quote:
To help us further an image of the cone and the rest of the magnet and basket assembly may help. Failing that in terms of a replacement what is the diameter of the woofer cutout diameter of the cabinet, as that will help determine finding a replacement that fits nicely.
Good. I will take more pics and measure the woofer and cabinet hole. But as i said above i have the feeling that a replacement could be a wiser choice

Quote:
Tweeter is from Norway ! Hmm let me think, of course a SEAS type 25TAFC/G-MF H490 8 ohms again. I am sure if you contact seas they will offer advice on what their current closest design. But the tweeters are functional anyway so no need for immediate replacement. If you look at SEAS tweeters they all have a Hxxxx type designation these days so I couldn't see a simple match for it.
Keep us updated
I have great respect for Seas product. Big and great brand indeed. When i will have more time and this is a medium term project i would like to go hunting for drivers and measure them with a decent set-up. I have the feeling that some more or less vintage drivers can be still quite good and almost nobody care about them.
When i attended audio fairs i saw only middle aged men ... the youngers do not care about soundstage, prat ... things like that. They live with earphones embedded in their skulls.
Coming back to tweeters the feeling is nice. I like the chamber behind the magnet. Just a feeling ... and they seem to work fine.

Quote:
Will this fit as it is a nice price, and you could work it either sealed or reflex with your MC2 cabinet, for sealed just stuff the port with Dacron or some similar material.
There will be several other alternatives for an 8" in a reflex box, and others may add their own ideas
Thank you very much indeed !!! i love the look of this woofer a lot ... i am buying two soon.
What means to me is to selected two decent drivers ... then i could have at the response curve of the woofers ... the speakers have bi-wiring option with i guess two separate filters for woofer and tweeter. Quite convenient to experiment a little.
I will buy these woofers you mention. Will they sound as good as they look ?
Thank you so much again.
Have a very nice day.
Kind regards, gino
Milan

Last edited by ginetto61; 15th January 2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There will be several other alternatives for an 8" in a reflex box, and others may add their own ideas
Order placed. I like them a lot. I am curious to listen but in any case i guess i could look at the xover for some adjustments.
Thank you very much again.
As i said from various sources and sorry to sound trivial drivers selection is the very first step for any project.
What leaves me puzzled is that many people mention a evaluation by ear. A little not scientific ... but even gifted designers "listen" to drivers. And i understand human voice is a very useful tool to evaluate the fidelity of a driver.
I will let you know how it ends hopefully very soon with some pics of course.
Best wishes, gino
Old 15th January 2020, 08:43 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Firstly please verify that they will fit the existing cutout.They may just work just fine according to your ears.if not it will probably mean experimenting with the inductor for the bass to get that somewhere to being flat. Then maybe a tweak of the resistor feeding the tweeter. Measurement would make this a simple task. Take a record of any changes you make so that you can go back to something you enjoyed.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:58 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Firstly please verify that they will fit the existing cutout.They may just work just fine according to your ears.if not it will probably mean experimenting with the inductor for the bass to get that somewhere to being flat. Then maybe a tweak of the resistor feeding the tweeter. Measurement would make this a simple task. Take a record of any changes you make so that you can go back to something you enjoyed.
Hi ! yes you are right but they are on the way. No problem. I will find a use for them anyway. I could maybe cut an adapter from thick wood and place it to accomodate the new drivers. I also like drivers on different planes like in the famous b&w dm6 ... that complicates things a little but i will see.
Old 15th January 2020, 03:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
not mine but they are

Replacement tweeters for Musical Fidelity MC2'sHide this!Advertise here!