Wooden Horns For mid&tweet on LaScala?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have seen some very interesting home built wooden horns and was wanting to know if there are designs for wood horns .From what I have read spruce wood sounds beautiful .I have more time and tools than money and would love to build some wood horns out of spruce. and I have source for free scraps 1 1/4" [5/4] x 6"about 3 ' long and .just want to make a wood midhorn for the lascala driver . I bet it "wood" make a big change to the midrange . I have no problem with a much wider and taller horn . I realy just need guidance to do the layout .I am just a new member but i do have a nice wood shop available so .should i just try to duplicate the cast mid horn in wood ?Should i just stop asking all these questions?

The wood type is irrelevant if the horn is built properly. Horns should be stiff, well damped, and should not have a sound of their own. Wood type is only relevant to musical instruments where the grain structure and the density of the wood contribute to resonances that are considered pleasant for that instrument type. If the wood type makes the horn sound different then it was built incorrectly.

I have seen some very interesting home built wooden horns and was wanting to know if there are designs for wood horns...I really just need guidance to do the layout. I am just a new member but i do have a nice wood shop available so. Should i just try to duplicate the cast mid horn in wood? Should i just stop asking all these questions?

Don't stop asking questions.

There are wooden horn plans here.

As noted above, the choice of wood is for your eyes not the sound since the object of a horn or "waveguide" is to have no resonances and its interior be free of hard edges/very rough finish (for midrange and tweeter horns).

Chris

The wood type is irrelevant if the horn is built properly. Horns should be stiff, well damped, and should not have a sound of their own. Wood type is only relevant to musical instruments where the grain structure and the density of the wood contribute to resonances that are considered pleasant for that instrument type. If the wood type makes the horn sound different then it was built incorrectly.

Exactly.

You are welcome to lookup Tractrix calculators, and build techniques.

Here I show some DIY build techniques. This is from one of my earliest builds, techniques are roughly the same, though everything I build now is CNC'd.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/100440-2-223hz-tractrix-horns/?hl=223hz

Check out Bruce Edgars books on tractrix.

Enjoy, Dave

Last edited:
Don't stop asking questions.

There are wooden horn plans here.

As noted above, the choice of wood is for your eyes not the sound since the object of a horn or "waveguide" is to have no resonances and its interior be free of hard edges/very rough finish (for midrange and tweeter horns).

Chris
I built the A290's some years back and used BMS4590 as drivers. They were made out of MDF and completely dead and heavy as hell. I built them to replace the horrible sounding MF and HF systems in my Khorns and it was a very large improvement. However, I didn't like the BMS being crossed much lower than 600Hz which left a gap to the Khorn midbass. By the time I'd found a really good solution, I ended up with a 5 way active system with no Khorn parts left at all and it was huge. Made the Khorns look like bookshelves.

reply re wooden LaScala horn

so i guess klipsch are not worth the the time .All i want is an easy to build horn .I have sanders routers etc and think if i could just access some templates i could build a nice mid horn for the lascala . I like the sound but would love to build a huge horn for the k-55 driver.I know its not the best but I cant afford the best but I do believe that a big wood horn for this driver could be able to play even more effortlessly .So if anyone knows of a plan that is on a grid that i can use with just two patterns one for the sides and one for the top and bottom. if i am way off base thinking that the k-55 driver could benefit from a larger. horn please let me know. I just envision two templates i could use to make these way bigger and I guess more complete it just seems that the horns are kind of chopped off where they meet the baffle from what i have read any sharp angles are not the best I love these and if they would sound better PLEASE let me know.And thank you for your time Scott .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.