Tweeter damage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have a KEF Q compact with a tweeter which is not sounding. I think it is a wiring problem since when I put pressure on the tweeter it sounds.

These speakers are pretty old and I dont think I can replace the tweeter with the same model. The low frequency is working, so what I did was, wire the HF from the amp to another, smaller, speaker. (KEF plays LF and the smaller speaker plays HF). It seems to work as a temporary solution.

Is it easy to replace the tweeter? It looks difficult since the tweeter is inside the LF cone. Can I use any tweeter that fits?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Only the correct the tweeter will work as intended. By that I mean that using another type, while it would work, it won't give the correct frequency response and amplitude of HF as the original. And it won't match the other of course which would lead to a less than perfect "image" between the speakers.

And the biggest problem of all. These tweeters are unique physically and I don't think you will find an off the shelf alternative that physically fits.

If yours works with pressure applied then it has to be worth a look and see if anything obvious is amiss. I haven't seen one of these before but you just might get lucky and find its perhaps an issue where the voice coil connects to the "tails" or leads on the tweeter. A long shot but nothing lost. Its one of those things where you are going to have to dismantle it all to see how it all fits together.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Only you can answer that one.

Options...

1) Live with it faulty.
2) Have a go at a repair.
3) "Make" another tweeter fit knowing it isn't accurate... but that may not matter to you.
4) Try and buy a new replacement tweeter.
5) Buy another pair.

As they say :D, the choice is yours.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.