Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help needed: Vifa drivers in a 3-way speaker
Help needed: Vifa drivers in a 3-way speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2014, 01:44 AM   #11
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

how about this: Vifa PL18WO-,
with the Tarkus woofer as a .5 way on the bottom....?
Old 12th March 2014, 02:09 AM   #12
duvla72 is offline duvla72  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
how about this: Vifa PL18WO-,
with the Tarkus woofer as a .5 way on the bottom....?
In that case I should find one more pair of Vifa PL18WO-09-04 woofers for the rolled off pair, and I am afraid that is a mission impossible task
Old 12th March 2014, 02:25 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

re:"the rolled off pair" - if you mean you need the same driver as the mids for a .5 way, that's not correct. The Peerless woofers used in the Tarkus are a very good choice...
Old 12th March 2014, 02:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
re:"the rolled off pair" - if you mean you need the same driver as the mids for a .5 way, that's not correct
I thought this was a must in a 2.5 way system
Old 12th March 2014, 02:57 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

no, that's a common misunderstanding
Old 12th March 2014, 03:56 AM   #16
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have a set of 2.5s being built at the moment; mid/tweeter is the Vifa P-13/D26 combo the .5 Woofer is the big efficient Vifa P-26. You pick the woofer that will give the result you want
Old 12th March 2014, 07:51 AM   #17
chefsinc is offline chefsinc  Australia
diyAudio Member

hi guys, that is a great driver as I have had it in my DIY ref speaker since 2006 and have tweeked the hell out of mine.

I implemented a 2.5 with 4 drivers. the 2 audax 8 inch are the .5 rolling off at 200hz and the vifa goes all the way to 1.8khz crossover to a satori tweeter. I originally had the xt25 in there but once I swapped it out for the satori I fell in love with it.
this speaker uses a series crossover and the 2 drivers are in their own section of the cabinet.
you have a beautiful cabinet already just add an 8 inch peerless to the bottom of the cabinet and this could make a lovely speaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right main system.jpg (179.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 12th March 2014, 11:42 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

unfortunately, the enclosure is not for sale, I have to make new one, this would be an easy task otherwise
Old 13th March 2014, 01:33 AM   #19
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Again, you have a good basis, but this is a very ambitious project. To design a speaker takes me about 6 months for a "simple" two way. The driver set is very good, but....

As much as I love building speakers, if you have a set of small B&W's, PROPER subs are as integrated and musical as any full range floor standers. A set of Peerless 12's in sealed 60 Liter boxes used as bases under your B&W's would give a set of 801's a run for the money. I prefer a real 24dB active crossover to a high quality amp. Many subs are destroyed by the assumption the AVR sub out is all you need. I run "full" out of the AVR or preamp and then to a real active crossovers. I will sometimes throw an eq in the sub line, but in most rooms, a low Q sealed sub matches the room gain pretty well and you don;t need much. The really nifty advantage of subs as main stads is you can raise the crossover frequency for best eq. You are not forced to be in the 60 or so range just to have no localization, but can go 200 or 300 is the sub is good enough. This can do wonders for mid-range distortion. Don't call them add on subs, call them true woofers.

To get the imaging you are looking for, room treatments are a must. Big panels on the front wall do wonders. DIY of course.

With your background, you may be able to measure by ear, but tools make it far easier. We spent weeks in the old days arguing what was wrong with prototypes where today we can measure and get the hint in minutes. Final voicing is always still by ear.

Go to Linkwitz and see how to build a mic for almost nothing. All it takes is a PC after that. So not measuring has no excuse.
Old 13th March 2014, 02:24 AM   #20
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

I like these on paper, I haven't used them yet; too many projects already

Peerless 830669 12" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer | 264-1118

I consider a woofer not a subwoofer and I suspect these are the drivers tvrgeek refers to

Help needed: Vifa drivers in a 3-way speakerHide this!Advertise here!