Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Baffle step compensation.. how important is it?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2014, 05:42 AM   #61
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
But does flatter response actually mean better sounding? It didn't seem like it when I tried it....just saying.
So, are those measurements done at the same point as the recording mic? I agree that the BSC-ed sound was not appealing; tonal balance was not good (bass-heavy; somewhat muffled).
Old 17th March 2014, 06:09 AM   #62
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Yes, those recordings are at approximately the same location as the measurements (0.5 m) away. It is interesting how subjective the sound is being called muffled and bass heavy when the BSC was applied. If you listen to the original recording of Diana Krall, you will notice that her contralto voice is not that bright or 'shouty'. It is rather fatiguing to listen to it that bright.

Here is a real hardwired BSC circuit using a 1mH + 10 ohm + 0.47uF with this speaker. Let me know what you think of the sound now.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...eal-bsc-07.zip

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...eal-bsc-06.zip

Click the image to open in full size.

Note that this is a single 3.5 in driver running full range in mono.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 17th March 2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 17th March 2014, 07:18 AM   #63
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I don't have a reference for the no6 track but no7, Diana Krall, I do. It sounds wrong. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have heard that effect before. It's in the mids, maybe a bit in the bass, too, but mostly mids. There seems to be significant levels of reverb present in your recording. I suggest you take a few steps back.

Here's my recommendation:

1. Do some off-axis plots to see if what you are observing on-axis is real. If bumps and dips that you see on-axis disappear off-axis, then simply ignore them: imagine a straight line going through it and do not correct for it.

2. Consider what acoustic treatments may benefit your setup. The less room reverb you have, the more you can successfully equalise your speakers to flat. Otherwise, flat will just sound wrong (and an alternative curve may be better).

FYI, I am listening via Sennheiser HD555 headphones modified to equal HD595.

PS. When presenting your plots, it is helpful to try and maintain the same x/y scales.
Old 17th March 2014, 05:06 PM   #64
dumptruck is offline dumptruck  United States
diyAudio Member

It is critical to match levels for this comparison or it will always sound muffled after the switch, but I agree this filter didn't work. I'm not familiar with the record, but there seems to be excess energy centered around 400Hz, which also corresponds to something in your measurements. Both halves sound pretty off. Are we listening to the red or blue curve in the 2nd part?

edit: just noticed the follow up files, I will check them out.

edit 2: same thing, excess output around 400-ish

Last edited by dumptruck; 17th March 2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 17th March 2014, 05:23 PM   #65
dumptruck is offline dumptruck  United States
diyAudio Member

P.S. I only have a Dayton measurement mic in the house right now, but it's not so bad for recording music at lower levels and I could do this same demonstration with a 4" Fostex tonight if anybody wants. From this thread I keep forgetting to update: Fostex FF105WK Experiments

Baffle step compensation.. how important is it?Hide this!Advertise here!