Baffle step compensation.. how important is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, those recordings are at approximately the same location as the measurements (0.5 m) away. It is interesting how subjective the sound is being called muffled and bass heavy when the BSC was applied. If you listen to the original recording of Diana Krall, you will notice that her contralto voice is not that bright or 'shouty'. It is rather fatiguing to listen to it that bright.

Here is a real hardwired BSC circuit using a 1mH + 10 ohm + 0.47uF with this speaker. Let me know what you think of the sound now.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/full-range/406144d1394939982-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-clip-real-bsc-07.zip

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/full-range/406143d1394939982-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-clip-real-bsc-06.zip

405849d1394805227-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-bsc-rew-hd-3in.png

Note that this is a single 3.5 in driver running full range in mono.

406141d1394938395-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-dcr-vifa-final-photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a reference for the no6 track but no7, Diana Krall, I do. It sounds wrong. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have heard that effect before. It's in the mids, maybe a bit in the bass, too, but mostly mids. There seems to be significant levels of reverb present in your recording. I suggest you take a few steps back.

Here's my recommendation:

1. Do some off-axis plots to see if what you are observing on-axis is real. If bumps and dips that you see on-axis disappear off-axis, then simply ignore them: imagine a straight line going through it and do not correct for it.

2. Consider what acoustic treatments may benefit your setup. The less room reverb you have, the more you can successfully equalise your speakers to flat. Otherwise, flat will just sound wrong (and an alternative curve may be better).

FYI, I am listening via Sennheiser HD555 headphones modified to equal HD595.

PS. When presenting your plots, it is helpful to try and maintain the same x/y scales.

It is critical to match levels for this comparison or it will always sound muffled after the switch, but I agree this filter didn't work. I'm not familiar with the record, but there seems to be excess energy centered around 400Hz, which also corresponds to something in your measurements. Both halves sound pretty off. Are we listening to the red or blue curve in the 2nd part?

edit: just noticed the follow up files, I will check them out.

edit 2: same thing, excess output around 400-ish

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.