How to calculate series notch filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
How to calculate series notch filters for:

Tweeter Seas Millenium T25CF002 & mid-woofer ScanSpeak 18W/8545-00

This calculator mh-audio.nl - Home gives me:

Tweeter 2.500Hz@5R
R 5R
L 1,12mH
C 3,62uF

Woofer 250Hz@6R6
R 6R6
L 11,2mH
C 36,2uF

I used correctly the minimum impedance & frecuency of each driver datasheet?

Attached both datasheets & the tweeter measured in box without xo

Attachments

• ScanSpeak 18W-8545-00.pdf
    479.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Seas Millenium TCF002.pdf
    105.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Seas millenium in box without XO.png
    Seas millenium in box without XO.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
If you only need to flatten the impedance on a tweeter after the resonance then you need a Zobel.
IMHO, if you learn to use a proper crossover software (Speaker Workshop or Passive Crossover Designer), you'll realize that Zobels aren't necessary.
A notch needed to eliminate a bump is quite impossible to do right without measurements.
Troels Gravesen uses LCR notches on woofers mainly to eliminate the bump in the midrange (500Hz-1Kz) due to the baffle step effect. I think it is explained on one of the recent designs (Seas Curv perhaps).

Ralf

If the tweeter has a strong impedance peak (no ferrofluid for example), and the slope of the crossover is not steep enough, then you have to. Not doing so the tweeter will exhibit a bump at resonance, and that bump will show up in the FR of the speaker, but this could be a sign of a bad design decision.
Ralf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.