Which 6.5" midwoofer for this project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building a 2 way floorstander using an Alpair 10P and two 6.5" woofers per cabinet. Crossover will be around 375hz, 1st order.
The Alpair will be OB and a rear padded frame to absorb the backwave. The drivers will be grouped in a similar fashion to the magico S3 (as an example).

I've bought the alpair's (which look really nice, a mid grey blue cone) but can't decide on a paper cone 8 ohm mid woofer.

The woofers will be hooked up in parallel to reach the desired output

Candidates are

Scanspeak Classic 8545-11 (double magnet version)
Scanspeak Classic 8535-01 (sealed)
Scanspeak Revelator 8531G00
SB Acoustics Satori MW16P-8

The classics are a little cheaper and perform well. The Revelator offers great bass output (and looks lovely), but the minimum ohm rating is also the lowest of the four, so not sure if its suitable in parallel. The SB Acoustics is expensive but looks to be the most suitable for a 1st order design.

Last edited:
You mean you really want to connect those two drivers parallel? Without x-over, or the standard 2-way parallel x-over config.? It is not quite clear from your description. As far as sonic qualities and ease of xo design the winner is the Satori.... but also the most expensive (unless you are lucky enough to get them from Solen in Canada)

I cd buy in the US and get them shipped but it wd cost the same by the time the courier rings my doorbell. i.e. shipping, tax and the customs charge etc
I visit Indonesia sometimes so in future I might be able to arrange to collect direct from Surabaya

Last edited:
Hi,

You won't get away with a simple 1 order x/o with an OB midrange.
Baffle hump will be your problem, quite high up, and after you've
fixed that the driver will rolling off at 6dB/octave with no high pass
below the point you've fixed the hump , and note that the baffle
roll off is chucking away driver excursion.

If you high pass a driver 2nd order electrical its excursion will
be constant with input level and frequency in the roll-off region.

So your looking at some form of 3rd order acoustic high pass.

Your bass mids will be affected by baffle step rising up towards
1KHz and a first order low pass might be possible second order
electrical with some jiggerypokery.

First order x/o's tend to be complex things if you don't
at first make it easy with your choices, and a nightmare
for an OB midrange regarding bass modulation / excursion.

rgds, sreten.

Building a 2 way floorstander using an Alpair 10P and two 6.5" woofers per cabinet. Crossover will be around 375hz, 1st order.
The Alpair will be OB and a rear padded frame to absorb the backwave. The drivers will be grouped in a similar fashion to the magico S3 (as an example).

I've bought the alpair's (which look really nice, a mid grey blue cone) but can't decide on a paper cone 8 ohm mid woofer.

The woofers will be hooked up in parallel to reach the desired output

Candidates are

Scanspeak Classic 8545-11 (double magnet version)
Scanspeak Classic 8535-01 (sealed)
Scanspeak Revelator 8531G00
SB Acoustics Satori MW16P-8

The classics are a little cheaper and perform well. The Revelator offers great bass output (and looks lovely), but the minimum ohm rating is also the lowest of the four, so not sure if its suitable in parallel. The SB Acoustics is expensive but looks to be the most suitable for a 1st order design.

Ur best bet is the SB, the founders are x scan speak designers responsible for revelator and illuminator, the satori is there flagship and performers very, very well and then considering the price compared to the revelator...

Hi,

You won't get away with a simple 1 order x/o with an OB midrange.
Baffle hump will be your problem, quite high up, and after you've
fixed that the driver will rolling off at 6dB/octave with no high pass
below the point you've fixed the hump , and note that the baffle
roll off is chucking away driver excursion.

If you high pass a driver 2nd order electrical its excursion will
be constant with input level and frequency in the roll-off region.

So your looking at some form of 3rd order acoustic high pass.

Your bass mids will be affected by baffle step rising up towards
1KHz and a first order low pass might be possible second order
electrical with some jiggerypokery.

First order x/o's tend to be complex things if you don't
at first make it easy with your choices, and a nightmare
for an OB midrange regarding bass modulation / excursion.

rgds, sreten.

Thanks sreten. To be honest I don't understand all the reasons behind some of the things you mentioned but I know you know your stuff - With the baffle hump, is that something that is specific to OB's or a general thing? In other words, does it just affect full rangers/midrangers on an open baffle?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.