Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

driver trade up to improve system performance
driver trade up to improve system performance
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2014, 01:26 PM   #11
jimbones is offline jimbones  United States
diyAudio Member

Guys,

I confess I am a newbie. I come here because I respect the opinions of people that have "been there, done that". I know I sound defensive but I don't come to fight or profess to know more than the next guy. I am appreciative of those that provide constructive criticisim. The only reason that I declared the project "finished" was (1) I felt guilty that DT was spending as much time as he did and I am grateful for his help and he knows it and (2) I wanted to get some listening time on the speakers to make some observations then work on them some more. I have made investments in Omnimic and have gathered all the recommended software tools (SPL Trace/PCD etc) and learned how to use them. However we all know working solely by email exchange is challenging.

Dumptruck hit the nail on the head. Without me explaining the whole story in every gory detail I am only asking if there was anything obviously wrong with the driver selection. For example, In an earlier build I was using a Dynaudio 17W75 and literally everyone said that that driver was a poor choice. (I only used it because I had it lying around and didn't cost me $). Thank you for your understanding.
Old 28th February 2014, 02:51 PM   #12
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Jim,

I don't think you made any mistake with driver choice of yours and
I feel obligated to say people posting here making suggestions are
only humans and thereby capable of making mistakes. Regarding your
17W75, I guess I was the "only" one speaking in favor of this driver
IIRC. It has something to do with philosophy of thinking and I tend not
to believe everything written in books.
Old 28th February 2014, 03:21 PM   #13
jimbones is offline jimbones  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lojzek.
I like the dynaudio myself and it sounded ok. However when another DIY'er (Mdcod) before Dumptruck assisted me with the the original design I ran the data through pcd we did have difficulty getting it to play nice at the upper end with the tweeter. I was advised by Blair that he used the peerless OB with excellent results so I fugured I give it a try. It was easier to integrate with the Sb29. The "improvement" going from the dynaudio to the peerless was not huge, but it was noticable. As an audiophile I only take the meaning of measurements only so far: Do I build something to sound good or measure as good as I can get it? I would characterize the sound of the speakers to be very good but there is a slight loss of detail in the upper bass. BTW the reason I used a woofer was to not bring the peerless down very low and I did not believe it could have much output at 50hz (ob).
Old 28th February 2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

You're right, Peerless in OB is a no go down to 50Hz. I should have
been more clear and said in a box. I am positive there is a solution
to your situation. I guess you already experimented with driver polarities
measuring response in XO region. Have you tried Velodynes phase
switch?

driver trade up to improve system performanceHide this!Advertise here!