Unwinding my inductor to obtain lower inductance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Firstly, the 0.22 is just on the verge of being close enough, and may work ok, depending on what type of circuit it is going into.

To unwind the other one...realize that inductance is approximately proportional to the number of turns squared:
1) Count the number of turns in the 0.33mH coil - call it N.
( - just multiply the number of layers by the number of turns per layer)
2) calculate 0.25/.33=((N-T)/N)^2
rearrange to: T=N*(1-sqrt(0.25/0.33))

T is the number of turns you must remove.

BTW, the above only works for air cored inductors, AFAIK.

If your original value was accurate, and you worked through the formula properly, and your inductor was air core, you don't need to bother with measurements.

Variations of 5-10% are not a big deal when dealing with most crossovers.

I checked with my inductance winding formulas, and the formula I gave you works _very_ well (like less than 1-2% error) even if you were to unwind half of the coil.

If you _want_ to measure, you don't need a frequency counter and sinewave generator, you can just use a sine generator program on your computer, but you would need a resistor and/or an accurately known capacitor - and an accurate Multimeter. Most cheap multimeters have flat response from 40-500Hz, but roll off beyond those points quite rapidly.

If the original value of the Inductor is accurate, not even the measurement capacitor has to be accurate then. Just make sure you take the same one for both measurements ! The frequency change will be the inverse of the square root of the inductance change. So you just have to figure out by what ratio the resonant frequency has to increase.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.