Contemplating speaker building

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been contemplating building speakers. I'm not near the point where I would buy drivers, but it is interesting to think about it, and learn about the process.

I've been browsing drivers on parts express.

I first thought I'd use a 15" driver with a horn tweeter and possibly a mid. The kind of sound I like is neutral, but not in any way lacking. So, a nice clean even response throughout the range. After looking at the frequency response plots for horns, it seems they have a more jagged response than other types. I would also like something with wide dispersion, and good imaging not limited to a small sweet spot.

Also, how important is it to have drivers that are the same sensitivity? Seems this can be hard to do. Can we compensate for this when designing the crossover?

What about neodymium magnets? From a sound perspective, would they be a good choice? Any disadvantages from the sound perspective? If I use neo drivers, should they all be neo or ok to mix with ferrite drivers?

I'd like to build something that would take a reasonable amount of power, 100Watts min?

How about design tools? Is there a good book I should look at? What software is good to use? I have studied filter design at school but not in huge detail, but I understand the basics.

Last edited:
Hi,

This :

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And a nice used 100W amplifier, e.g. a HK, and you'll
be good to go, and you can ponder all your questions
and a lot more whilst building it via the below links.

Possible alternatives ?

This : Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5

ZDT3.5-system2.jpg

and this : https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-sunflowers

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

YMMV but you won't go wrong with any of the above.
You will go wrong starting off with a 15" and trying to
take it from there, until you really know what you are
doing and really know you actually need 15" units.

rgds, sreten.

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy
(see if nothing else, the excellent FAQs)
The Speaker Building Bible
Zaph|Audio
Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter
http://audio.claub.net/Simple Loudspeaker Design ver2.pdf
FRD Consortium tools guide
Designing Crossovers with Software Only
RJB Audio Projects
Jay's DIY Loudspeaker Projects
Speaker Design Works
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28655
A Speaker project
DIY Loudspeakers
Humble Homemade Hifi
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
Music and Design

Great free SPICE Emulator : SPICE-Based Analog Simulation Program - TINA-TI - TI Software Folder

Last edited:
YMMV but you won't go wrong with any of the above.
You will go wrong starting off with a 15" and trying to
take it from there, until you really know what you are
doing and really know you actually need 15" units.

I've heard my share of speakers and I definitely want to go the 15" route.
I've heard lots of speakers, including electrovoice interface D, a variety of tannoys, including HPD, and super reds. I like the nice tight kick of a 15".

As for power I have a kenwood 700M amp, and 700C preamp, all restored. 200WPC.

Maybe more research will reveal a different way, who knows.

I read the first article in the speaker builder's bible. So far nothing has come as a complete surprise, I know there is more to it than throwing my favourite drivers in a box and slapping a crossover together.

I've had lots of woodworking experience. I've done a lot of work with audio gear, I've done many solid state restorations. I've listed to a lot of speakers. My dream speaker would still be something along the lines of what I was talking about in the first post.

But I suppose I should know by now I can't ace something the first try (though I what I can do after some experience!). So maybe these won't be my dream speakers if they are my first build. Maybe better to start with something simpler, maybe a pair of two way bookshelves. Then if I screw up the first two cabinet designs I haven't wasted $200 of wood.

The article suggested starting with building an existing design. I don't quite want to do this. I want to learn the process. So maybe I'd start with an existing design, run some simulations while tweaking stuff, and see what comes.

Looks like there will be a lot of thought and learning before buying any drivers. Or even looking at drivers.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Well if you want a 15 to start with go for it but be aware that you will need a really good smooth strong midbass that can cross over low and that means a tweeter with a very low Fs that can cross over low enough to avoid major issues with lobing etc
The major problem with low crossover points is simply the very high cost of reasonable coils and capacitors
So a 15 got bass then cross to smooth around ~200Hz a 6 or 7 for midbass/midrange and a good tweeter from around ~2000 / 2500
Kick and SLAM are all to do with design not the woofer size really. although moving a lot of air helps but a 15 doesn't give away a lot when compared to a couple of 10s or 12s
If you want kick and SLAM and bass too then consider a 4-way using an 18 sub for bass, 80Hz and below with a 10 inch for midbass and a 5 for midrange

I say go for the 15" plus mid and tweet. Nothing is more annoying than having speakers that just barf and fart when you crank it. Maybe try a 15" operating from 30-100 hz then a real fullrange type 6" or 7" driver to handle 100- 4500 hz, finally a compression driver /horn combo to fill out the top end. Im on my way to doing this myself for my main speakers in the livingroom. One thing though, give them a real nice finish on the cabinets. That way you can be proud of it as a whole not just on the sound. But thats just my 2 cents. Hope you succeed and enjoy whatever you build for years to come........until you get the "itch" again:)

Last edited:
I say go for the 15" plus mid and tweet. Nothing is more annoying than having speakers that just barf and fart when you crank it. Maybe try a 15" operating from 30-100 hz then a real fullrange type 6" or 7" driver to handle 100- 4500 hz, finally a compression driver /horn combo to fill out the top end. Im on my way to doing this myself for my main speakers in the livingroom. One thing though, give them a real nice finish on the cabinets. That way you can be proud of it as a whole not just on the sound. But thats just my 2 cents. Hope you succeed and enjoy whatever you build for years to come........until you get the "itch" again:)

That's what I'm thinking, and I'd definitely use the 6" mid. One interesting speaker design I saw was the electrovoice interface D. A downfiring 12" woofer, a 6" ported mid, and a wide dispersion horn tweeter.

I'm thinking I'll start with something smaller though, work a couple kinks out and get the hang of the process with a two way bookshelf.

Also, for materials, everything I read so far says MDF is the way to go. I've been talking to my friend, who is also into audio, and has a lot of woodwork experience. He thinks something like 11 layer birch ply would have less resonance, and that this is the way to go.

The impression I got is both take different construction techniques to get the most out of them, and work with their strengths and weaknesses. Maybe Birch was liked a bit more, but I'll make up my own mind after much more reading.

EDIT: nice, first post that didn't have to be approved by a mod. And I can edit it!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.