Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Contemplating speaker building
Contemplating speaker building
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2014, 07:59 AM   #11
Top Shelf is offline Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

I say go for the 15" plus mid and tweet. Nothing is more annoying than having speakers that just barf and fart when you crank it. Maybe try a 15" operating from 30-100 hz then a real fullrange type 6" or 7" driver to handle 100- 4500 hz, finally a compression driver /horn combo to fill out the top end. Im on my way to doing this myself for my main speakers in the livingroom. One thing though, give them a real nice finish on the cabinets. That way you can be proud of it as a whole not just on the sound. But thats just my 2 cents. Hope you succeed and enjoy whatever you build for years to come........until you get the "itch" again

Last edited by Top Shelf; 27th February 2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 27th February 2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Raccoon1400 is offline Raccoon1400  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I say go for the 15" plus mid and tweet. Nothing is more annoying than having speakers that just barf and fart when you crank it. Maybe try a 15" operating from 30-100 hz then a real fullrange type 6" or 7" driver to handle 100- 4500 hz, finally a compression driver /horn combo to fill out the top end. Im on my way to doing this myself for my main speakers in the livingroom. One thing though, give them a real nice finish on the cabinets. That way you can be proud of it as a whole not just on the sound. But thats just my 2 cents. Hope you succeed and enjoy whatever you build for years to come........until you get the "itch" again
That's what I'm thinking, and I'd definitely use the 6" mid. One interesting speaker design I saw was the electrovoice interface D. A downfiring 12" woofer, a 6" ported mid, and a wide dispersion horn tweeter.

I'm thinking I'll start with something smaller though, work a couple kinks out and get the hang of the process with a two way bookshelf.

Also, for materials, everything I read so far says MDF is the way to go. I've been talking to my friend, who is also into audio, and has a lot of woodwork experience. He thinks something like 11 layer birch ply would have less resonance, and that this is the way to go.
Old 28th February 2014, 03:36 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Oh no. You've gone and done it. I forsee a cabinet materials "debate" coming
Old 28th February 2014, 03:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

You could try a side firing 12", which would make the base area smaller as well as the frontal, and eliminate cone sagging.
A two way bookshelf is a great place to start. Tons of examples round here. Somehow i can't upload pictures on this site so this image is on dropbox. Its of my studio monitors im working on. https://db.tt/wcKzm8iH
Old 28th February 2014, 03:54 AM   #15
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Very nice !
Old 28th February 2014, 02:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Oh no. You've gone and done it. I forsee a cabinet materials "debate" coming
I did some searching on this and read the debate. I'm new here so I don't know what topics are cans of worms. I'd have edited that part out after searching if I could edit my posts.
Old 28th February 2014, 06:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Ahhh just pulling your leg
Old 28th February 2014, 07:06 PM   #18
Greebster is offline Greebster  United States
diyAudio Member

Baltic Birch is better and far more durable. MDF is prone to issues with expansion and moisture. Not the most stable material for the long haul. Primed and sealed up can help prevent these issues. There are threads where all this is contested, blah blah blah
Old 28th February 2014, 10:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The impression I got is both take different construction techniques to get the most out of them, and work with their strengths and weaknesses. Maybe Birch was liked a bit more, but I'll make up my own mind after much more reading.

EDIT: nice, first post that didn't have to be approved by a mod. And I can edit it!

Last edited by Raccoon1400; 28th February 2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Because I can!

Contemplating speaker buildingHide this!Advertise here!