Cheap, big bass, fun...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

A couple of my students have approached me and want to build some party speakers.

Being teens, they want bass... they want *a lot* of bass :rolleyes:

The budget is in around 400$ including wood, cross-over and drivers.

I'd like to keep the design simple and crossover complications to a minimum...
(Small full-range with a 12in to fill in the lower frequencies?)

Suggestions welcome...

Thanks,
-andre-

Hi All,

A couple of my students have approached me and want to build some party speakers.

Being teens, they want bass... they want *a lot* of bass :rolleyes:

The budget is in around 400$ including wood, cross-over and drivers.

I'd like to keep the design simple and crossover complications to a minimum...
(Small full-range with a 12in to fill in the lower frequencies?)

Suggestions welcome...

Thanks,
-andre-

EDIT: I guess I should enquire what type of system this will be for? (pro audio, home, big or small?)

For lots of lows in cheap pro audio you could look at some plans that you can find on google for the Cubo 15 box. It is a woofer enclosure for 15" woofers. I love mine.

Make sure if you do make it, you use the "extended" plans which Include a few extra pieces of wood on the inner structure.

Last edited:
I would say cheap and easy is open baffle, but I'm not so sure the bass would live up to their standards. Your suggestion of a FAST setup is likely to be a winner. Search for FAST in the forums. A full range and bass augmentation is essentially what it is. You could utilize something like one of the Fostex or Fountek 3" drivers in a small enclosure and build a sub using any assortment of drivers, and a design program. Or pick one that is proven, and easier to plan for. Planet 10 has some really interesting designs, and is a big proponent of FAST from what I can tell, hopefully Dave will chime in.

Been there, done that, - and failed solidly in the first attempt! Far to linear and low F in the first attempt. They want big punch and slam from 50-80Hz.....
IIRC I ended up replacing the lovely and expensive Focal bass with a 15" Eminence - possibly a Kappa version........ don't remember...
If they need an amp for this, get a plate amp off Ebay or CL...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would vote for an Eminence 15 like the Beta and an 8" FR like a McBride.

At Q Components, in Ontario, the Beta 15A woofer is $82 and they have a McBride 8LS822-14 8" FR for $12 ea. Very efficient drivers, - throw in a couple iron core chokes and and some electrolytic caps and you be well within budget.
Q-Components
Q-Components

I've dealt with the many times and they have always been very patient with me. :)

Being that I am a teen, who build speakers for other teens, I can tell you most people my age don't know the least bit of sound quality. So that's a plus for keeping cost down. I would suggest the following:

($199)...1x iNuke1000DSP (from parts-express)
($20)....1x (2) 1/4" Speakon Cables 10Ft, 14GA
($90)....2x MCM 8'' Two Way (Sound is a little harsh, but the iNuke can EQ that)
($91)..1x 18" Subwoofer (see below)
($50)....1x MCM 18"
($20)....1x Sheet of 3/4 Particle board (Local hardware store)
($10)....1x Quart of Black paint (Local hardware store)
($1.5)...1x ABS Connector Dish for Two 1/4'' Jacks
($3).....2x 6.35mm Mono Jack
($5).....1x Box of 1 5/8" Screws (Local hardware store)
($1.5)...3x 16 AWG Red/Black Zip Speaker Wire (qt of 3 = 3ft)
Enter "GS401" for the coupon on MCM for free shipping over $100

Total: $400.

The 18" enclosure will be 23 3/4"x 23 3/4" x 23 3/4". Each port should be 11" deep. More than enough Bass for them, and an easy enclosure to build!

Attachments

• 18in.png
    18in.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.