Waveguide vs Synergy Horn vs Coaxial for bad speaker mount location

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I wish I had the ability to change the speaker mount locations, but that is not going to happen. And it's not my house or my theater, so it's out of my hands.
The best I can do is help my Cousin by building him a speaker that works as well as possible given the circumstances.

So as you can see in the pic below, speakers will be mounted about 1/2 up the wall (in-wall) which is 5' above floor level & 14' from listening position.
There is no option for a "helper woofer".
The speakers will be crossed over at 80hz to a subwoofer, can't go higher than that as that's as high as the horn sub should go.

Originally I was considering a waveguide solution (90* x 45*) mounted upside down (horn at bottom).

Then I started to consider a Synergy/Unity horn, but I have no crossover building experience and doubt I could find a good existing build to copy, that matches up with the dimensions available.

Now I'm back to considering a 12" coaxial in vented enclosure, and I think that may be the way to go.

What do you guys think?
B&C 12CXT or Radian 512/5212 12" coaxial options are being considered right now.

If I went coaxial, then I could probably design a psuedo/soft waveguide option, something *just* enough to allow the coaxial to be pointed towards the listening area rather than just firing straight forward.

Budget is a hard limit at $650 not including wood & materials.

ps. Subwoofer location has already been vetted and works halfway decent!

Last edited:
You have 15" of depth? You could do something like a Synergy then. I was thinking you had the depth of something typical inwall to work with.

The B&C on paper would go lower and louder than the Radian coax just based on the xmax numbers...but I hear nothing but good things about both.

I thought I saw an inwall install of a Seos waveguide on the DIYAudiogroup forum somewhere.

Those two would be the easiest to pull off in terms of labor and designing.

22" of depth.
The SEOS build yyou're thinking of is an 8" Woofer build that apparently doesn't have much bass.
I do have approval from my cousin to build the SEOS Tempest 12" kit.
I just think there might be a better vertical off axis option out there.
Prolly coaxial.
Which sucks because I LOVE waveguide builds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.