Advice on building a MTM 3 way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

Need advice on crossover design. Years back bought a pair of NHT 1259's & 2 pairs of Vifa p13w-00-008 woofers for a plan diy project. Well like most
of us with work commitments never got around doing it. Now the time has arrive & am looking into building a pair of speakers using these drivers. For tweeter I'm looking at using the Monacor DT300 with waveguide.
Would like to install the NHT in the same enclosure la side firing like the
NHT 3.3. Would appreciate if you guys can advice on crossover frequency,
how to implement crossover design, which type etc. I'm aware that it's not
easy to design a good crossover hence would appreciate all the advice that I can get. Diy a pair of two ways before read the cook book by Vance.
That's all the experience I've got.

Thanks in advance

This would be no harder to implement than a 2way MTM + sub. If using a waveguide keep in mind for proper integration the spacing between MT or TM is 1/4 wavelength at crossover point. The use of a wave guide spaces this out a bit to far in most cases and can be problematic. Use Edge to simulate driver placement on baffle.
The sub section shouldn't be hard, opposing woofers with their magnets bonded together helps to a large degree reduce enclosure vibrations.

I think you meant 1/2 wavelength. For example, take a "typical" MTM with 6.5" woofers and a dome tweeter, crossed at 1.8kHz. 1/4 wavelength of 1.8kHz is about 2". Obviously, that center-center spacing is highly unlikely.
That is the problem, To get the spacing required is normally done at lower frequencies. As crossover frequency increases this distance becomes impossibly small thus increasing issue with frequency. Spacing distance is correct for proper phase coherency at the crossover point. If unachievable compromise ensues (don't you just love it) and distance is increased to 1 wave length, creating yet another (lobing) issue but less than if at an odd distance. Model with Edge and see for yourself :)

I think you meant 1/2 wavelength. For example, take a "typical" MTM with 6.5" woofers and a dome tweeter, crossed at 1.8kHz. 1/4 wavelength of 1.8kHz is about 2". Obviously, that center-center spacing is highly unlikely.
Typical MT or MTM 6.5" + tweeter is around 2.2kHz and is based on the midbass drivers power response. In a typical system this would be determined by the -6dB @ 60° off axis frequency when measured on baffle as the upper frequency range/breakup region and filter network type and slope plays into this decision also.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Bi-amp is cheaper and there are lots of ways to do it.I am only familiar with using a pre-amp and the analogue Behringer unit but when crossing low I can't hear any problems with it. Use a passive OX on the mid/ tweeter even good components won't cost the earth there
So pre-amp plus 2 power amps plus XO unit, but save money and use S/H stuff to start with
What is your current amp set-up?

Thank again for the advice guys. looks like its easier to go 3 way instead
of MTM ya.

I have 2 Aska 100 amps which I built years back so its just nice for this
project Moondog55. May I ask which Behringer unit are you using ?
Been away from this hobby for a while, what is the difference between
the Behringer & active crossover of yester year ? Had always thought of
building a tube crossover for many years but never had a set-up that
needed this.

Thanks again Guys

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Jaffrie I have both the 2-Way and the 3-Way

Behringer: SUPER-X PRO CX2310

Behringer: SUPER-X PRO CX3400

For what you pay when on sale; they are reasonable value; as I'm not all that handy with electronics and soldering small components

I do however use them low With the 3-Way ~80 and ~250/300Hz
If you have the skills making your own is the way to go but the commercial unit gets you going inside 2 hours which I like. The 2-Way is for our party system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.