Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

B&C DE5 or DE7 exit angles?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2014, 05:46 PM   #11
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
As far as I can tell, it doesn't have an exit angle in the normal way. The phase plug goes almost to the bug screen, no wall expansion at all.
Hey Bill

Yes, this is the case with many of these smaller drivers. There is no lead in chamber, just a phase plug. Since the phase plug does not taper into the throat there will be a lot of diffraction at that point which is why I won't use them. Cheap to make and to buy they just aren't worth it to me.

I have used a DE10 and it works well for a small driver.
Old 17th February 2014, 09:01 PM   #12
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Thanks for commenting, Earl.

Maybe I don't understand "the phase plug does not taper into the throat", but the front of the phase plug on this resembles a solid cone or sharp bullet that goes into the throat toward the connection point. Is that what you are picturing? The side walls up to that point, though, taper inward (as does the bullet plug, though that narrows faster) going toward the bugscreen, the overall passage area is increasing as the bugscreen is approached. At the end just before the bugscreen, the sidewalls straighten out somewhat gradually.

Bill
Old 17th February 2014, 10:32 PM   #13
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I remember that now. The rate of expansion was very large and then it would narrow down as it enter the waveguide. This would not be a good idea. It should be one continuous curve without abrupt changes, which is true of a typical phase plug, but not the kind that you describe.

B&C DE5 or DE7 exit angles?Hide this!Advertise here!