Help for driver selection for bi-amp system speaker replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

My project is to replace the stock speakers from a "in a box" bi-amp sound system. The speakers are 2-way bass reflexes and the specs says the amp's crossover point is at 3000 hz. All existing drivers are 6 ohm.

I intend to use this system in the dining-living room, so it is not for "critical" listening. Therefor, I do not want to put a lot of $$. I want to get rid of the "boomy" bass and the rear vents because I want to wall mount the speakers.

I have never done a project without a crossover. What is to correct way to start this right?

Thanks Richie00boy.

This was my first idea. But, where would be the fun in that? Also I would like to keep intact the existing speakers for comparison with the new DIYs. Also, the woofer has a foam surround that is already 7-8 years old. I don't expect them to last many years from now.

Hi,
I am very dubious about the biamping the system supplies.

That is what puzzles me also. :confused: If the frequency separation is made before the DAC, there may be no electrical filters at all.

If the frequency separation is made after the DAC, then there will be a low pass and a high pass filter on the corresponding channels.

Any thoughts on measurements I could make to have an insight on this?

The easiest way of getting a good result, and assuming that the existing electronic crossover was designed to suit the existing drivers, would be to make a new cabinet for the existing drivers. Make the box a little bigger and put the port on the bottom.

If I was to build new boxes for the existing drivers, the only info have about the speakers are :

Volume of existing boxes;
Length and diameter of the existing vent;
Driver impedance;
Crossover frequency;

How would I calculate a new bass reflex alignment from there?

Usually these kind of speakers are boomy. The best option is to measure the Theile-Small paremeters of your woofer. A guide to do this is on my website.

If this is too much work for you then a suggested based on the observation that cheap speakers are usually boomy, would be to increase box volume by about 15% while keeping the same port. This will tune it a bit lower and give a little more extension.

It would be a good idea to retain the existing baffle width and driver positioning. Although they are probably not optimised, they may be and so it's worth sticking with. As changing them will affect frequency response because of baffle step and tilt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.