best of worst finish ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I got some Boston T830's with skins that have seen brighter days. I suppose I could leave them this way because ultimately it's more about how they sound, and they sound pretty good. They allow kick drums to sound like kick drums are supposed to with no audible hangover or blur to contemplate. Just precise quick snaps of bass. These can be had for so little cost it's ridiculous. I recently heard track 1 from hello I must be going on them, ~ censored ~. Track after track they have this effect. Since I'm not a writer trying to sell you anything I'll refrain from going into more reasons why I like them, and resist gushing over there share of hf competence too. For now I'd just like to correct the peeling chipped scratched up veneer and keep them around my toy box a while. How about some por-15 or bed liner? Something that will hold up better than paint and not look cheaply half arsed, I'm aiming for "presentable". Or counter top resurface, melamine paint? If I wasn't going over plastic veneer I would be set on something I know would work. But since I'm not, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi,

Hard to say without seeing the level of damage. Is the front / back OK ?
Corners edges damaged ? How bad is the peeling ? What sort of mess
would stripping the plastic leave behind ?

TBH I'd trust myself more with disposable rollers and tough scuff
resistant textured paint than trying to spray bed liner flat. YMMV.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

Hard to say without seeing the level of damage. Is the front / back OK ?
Corners edges damaged ? How bad is the peeling ? What sort of mess
would stripping the plastic leave behind ?

TBH I'd trust myself more with disposable rollers and tough scuff
resistant textured paint than trying to spray bed liner flat. YMMV.

rgds, sreten.

Most surfaces have a chip or two. And one side is badly scratched. The fronts look ok. I'm pretty sure stripping would leave behind the old glue residue. All the more reason to lay down some new stuff I'm thinking. But the old may be too stubborn and time consuming to remove.

Call me crazy but I might wood veneer over the existing stuff. Crazy in the sense that there old speakers and veneer isn't exactly low cost. After I clean up the lose edges and scuff it should adhere well and hold up. The auto wrap switched on a light, black vinyl or even the carpet used in mobile audio would suffice. I'll be happy with either for intended purposes. Unless carpeted baffles alter sound too much in the wrong direction.

Call me crazy but I might wood veneer over the existing stuff. Crazy in the sense that there old speakers and veneer isn't exactly low cost. After I clean up the lose edges and scuff it should adhere well and hold up. The auto wrap switched on a light, black vinyl or even the carpet used in mobile audio would suffice. I'll be happy with either for intended purposes. Unless carpeted baffles alter sound too much in the wrong direction.

Carpet helps, but only if it's thinner (like car speaker boxes). Don't see you using shaggy muppet carpet :D

Another suggestion is Monocote or Ultracoat iron on films used on RC planes

I bought some cheap vinyl sticker stuff off of eBay, and used it to cover my DVD player (which I use for SACD/DVDA/CD). I wanted it to match the wood case of my vintage Pioneer QX4000 receiver.

It actually looks really good, and a giant roll of the stuff was under $10. (Enough to do 3 CD players easily). You'll need a flat surface, so for your speakers just use a little spackle and a putty knife, then lightly sand. Then put new vinyl over.

Pic of my bedroom stereo included below. (The one on the top is the fake vinyl stuff, the receiver has actual wood)

Charles.

Attachments

• bedroomstereo.jpg
    bedroomstereo.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 148
Well its not the ugliest mental image I had painted. Decided to go with a roll of acoustic carpet. I removed some from a retired box, had enough to cover most frontal and side, it proved positive. My only concern is getting a couple small IB low lows put together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.