2-way horn system - need some input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
are these steep 48db xo slopes good ?

My experience, and that of a friend with a similar horn system, is that the LR8 crossover sounds bizarre, or even disturbing at times. He's happy with LR4 on the woofer and horn, while I've arrived at BW2 on the woofer and Bess3 on the horn. Perhaps with phase correction the LR8 would sound OK, but we haven't tried that.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
8th order L/R

My experience, and that of a friend with a similar horn system, is that the LR8 crossover sounds bizarre, or even disturbing at times. He's happy with LR4 on the woofer and horn, while I've arrived at BW2 on the woofer and Bess3 on the horn. Perhaps with phase correction the LR8 would sound OK, but we haven't tried that.

My experience using an 8th order Linkwitz-Reilly crossover has been nothing short of excellent. I've used it both in direct radiator and horn systems.

On a related note, my x-over unit is often the target of criticism by my fellow audiophile friends. But at the end of the day, I enjoy my system very, very, much.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
quote from Linkwitz

The caveat, though, is an increased difficulty in designing good systems with sharp slopes. The loudspeakers involved have differing transient responses, polar patterns and power responses. This means the system designer must know the driver characteristics thoroughly. Ironically, sometimes loudspeaker overlap helps the system blend better even when on-axis amplitude response is flat.

I get the WAF part Defo, this will always be a challange in horn systems.
Can't agree with you on smaller drivers being easier to integrate. What matters is to have a smooth blending of the power response at the XO frequency and a large enough forward lobe to cover the intended listening position and drivers that are well behaved through the XO region. DSP makes designing good XO's for horn systems a lot easier. A low XO frequency as you plan also makes this much easier, but going to low can make a compression driver sound strained, or a horn sound honky.

I have a green light on the following concept fro my GF:
48cm JMLC on top, with a large format driver.
Supertweeter just below angled 5 degrees upwards.
15" woofer in a cardoid - resistance enclosure also angled upwards.
18" inch woofers in the TV-bench.

Maybe not as cool looking as yours, but a fair compromise between visual aesthetics and forms follow function I think :)

Attachments

• living room horn speakers.jpg
    living room horn speakers.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 104
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 101
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.