Jeff Bagby Continuum vs Fusion-12 Tempest SEOS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found these 2 interesting speaker designs by Jeff Bagby.

1) One is the highly regarded Continuum 2-way bookshelf
2) the other is the Fusion-12 Tempest using the SEOS horn.

Which speaker would suit me better is a stereo setup, using a class A amplifier (50-100W - Aleph2).
In a medium/large listening room. Playing SACD mostly classical, vocals and accoustic pieces?

I'm torn as to what my next build should be. I'm concerned about the small size of the bookshelf speakers, I don't play them at loud levels. And I just don't know at all what to expect from a SEOS horn in combination with a 12" driver. I love a clear mid-range, and nice sound stage.

Current speakers:
Frugal Horn mk3 with Alpair 7.3 (2 years old)
Speedster TMM (most recent build)
Infinity Primus P250 (8 years, bought)

Any insight is appreciated!

Are we talking about people that built them and own them, or just heard a demonstration?

Wait, are you seriously going to try to compare the two completely different designs?
I highly doubt that the Continuum speaker could hold a candle to any high efficiency constant directivity design with a large woofer and compression driver with waveguide in particular listening environments.
Sure, you may get a more linear response from the Contiuum, but I am rather sure that at decent volumes, the high efficiency and low distortion of the Tempest would shine. Not to mention the advantages of reduced room interaction from the constant directivity design.

I need a big efficient speaker to rock my socks off.
Maybe even use outside for a party.

So, I would say that the Continuum offer very little in that realm.
If I wanted a smoother, more linear low volume speaker, the Continuum most likely has a more linear response for critical listening of music at lower volumes. Might make a good pair of near field monitors for my little pseudo, mini "recording desk".

See, now I want to build a pair of both and try them out!
I can even use them both currently as well.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
murphythecat8, what is it that people don't like about the Tempest?
audiokarma has a couple of reviews. but Ive spoken too fast, only Jeff at audiokarma couldnt make them sound good in his room. Theres definitely not enough review concerning the Fusion design, while the continuum...
but yeah, the continuum and the fusion couldnt be more different, and the bass should be much better with the fusion.
I personally never listen loud, never, so its not a issue with the continuum and the reviews are glowing!

The Fusion 12 should handily outperform a small monitor like the Continuum in any situation other than a small room. The Eminence Pro 12a woofer performs surprisingly well into the midrange and is a good choice to mate with a quality 12" horn such as the SEOS 12. The similar Pi Speakers 3Pi is an excellent loudspeaker that has outperformed many far more expensive competitors in my listening room, and I'd expect the Fusion 12 to do the same.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I have did a lot of research for the continuum.. the fact that it won a couple of diy events against 50 speakers sometime costing much more really convinced me. I almost bought the kairos, but some guys that heard both pair, the continuum and kairos at the same time, seemed to still think continuum was no slouch and could hold its own even against the kairos. The kairos goes lower but if you have subs, the continuum is definitely a good bang for the buck buy and you will be happy with it im sure.
Maybe you can wait for my pair, they should be done within a month.

Do you intend to play them loud? I think thats the most important feature here, as the continuum will be limited spl wise.

The Continuum has "much lower distortion"? At what frequencies and at what output? No 5.25" woofer is going to outperform a decent 12" woofer such as the Eminence Pro 12a is one in distortion at bass frequencies and the compression driver/horn combination shows very low distortion at any frequency in its bandwidth, even at high sound pressure levels.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
The Continuum has "much lower distortion"? At what frequencies and at what output? No 5.25" woofer is going to outperform a decent 12" woofer such as the Eminence Pro 12a is one in distortion at bass frequencies and the compression driver/horn combination shows very low distortion at any frequency in its bandwidth, even at high sound pressure levels.
from 100hz and up, Bagby said that part of the reason why the continuum sounds so good is that its the speaker he designed with the less distortion.

The SEOS waveguide/Denovo DNA-360 distortion plot posted by Jeff Bagby on the PE forum shows very low levels of distortion. Measurements of the Pi Speakers H290C/B&C DE-250 combination is even a bit better. I've not measured a 11/8" soft or metal dome tweeter with any lower distortion and most cannot go as low as either of these horn and compression driver combinations. The AE TD12S is similar to the TD12M 12" woofer referenced in the same thread, and these also have amazingly low distortion.

Attachments

• SEOS-360inbox-Distortion.jpg
    SEOS-360inbox-Distortion.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,063

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you test well-designed tweeters and compression drivers at comparable SPLs, you will find lower distortion from the regular tweeters. The only limiting factor with tweeters is sustained high SPLs... although, you shouldn't need sustained high output in the home.

Compared to the Tempest, the Continuum is a more linear design. But if you want loud and clean, you'd need the Tempest. How big is your room? And do you watch a lot of movies?

Old thread, I know, but this thread comes up in searches with regard to both of these speakers.

I own both the Fusion-12 and the continuum and I could not part with either. I use the same twin 12" subs for both models and I rotate both models in use
frequently.

iFkOcPo.jpg

I also have other speakers I listen to as well. I get hooked on the Continuum and forget about the Tempest for awhile. Then I get a wild hair, hook up the Tempests and get blown away allover again. I do have the continuum on stands now. In the photo, I had just finally clear coated them and assembled them for a session.

One of the issues with the Fusion-12's being, people try setting them up differently than designed, or have no experience/patience with constant directivity/revealing speakers. I have been listening to them (music only) hard for 2 years now and have really put them through their paces. Also had them playing for months on the Pass ACA and it is a beautiful thing.

Listening to them, I can tell Jeff Bagby designed both. To me, they sound like big brother, baby brother.

Distortion? The Fusion-12's would physically damage you before you got anywhere near audible distortion and you would certainly have to perhaps be outdoors, and a little crazy to try it.

That's the other thing about the Fusion line. They are ridiculously powerful speakers.

You might be. Out of Jeff's 2 ways, he commented he loves his spirit winds. Jeff cite's low distortion and ability to resolve detail. if your budget is up for it:

Spirit Wind, Bare Bones Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio

Thanks. It was long time ago, when I posted. Do not know when this kit was released..
Beautiful designe, I beleive, but Kairos is not bad as well, have owned for a three years already :)
Due to current currency rate it is difficult to afford such an ultimate project unfortinatuly.
Also, maybe, there is a sense to look for a three-way in this budget.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.