JBL M2 for The Poors

Not sure how you define loading. I look at from the view of where the roll off starts. Attached are the frequency response and the impedance plots for both using the same large format 4" driver. Either one of them make an easy 800Hz crossover point and both can do well with a passive network to flatten out the response. As I see it both are very similar look at the impedance plots.

Rob:)

Attachments

• Network-Driver Imp pth.jpg
    Network-Driver Imp pth.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 873
  • Imp Phase 476Mg on M2 Preliminary.jpg
    Imp Phase 476Mg on M2 Preliminary.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 889
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 889
  • PTH1010.jpg
    PTH1010.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
hi every one
i have some jbl parts
hf 2446j
lf 2226j
horn 2380a
can i make a clone like jbl m2 or jbl 4367 with these parts

No a M2 clone can definitely not be built with these but a decent speaker should be possible.
There are two things that should be kept in mind: You need to design a crossover thant can deal with the drooping frequency response of the horn/driver combination. And your woofer is 16 Ohms which means that you need a higher drive voltage compared to using an 8 Ohms one.

Regards

Charles

And your woofer is 16 Ohms which means that you need a higher drive voltage compared to using an 8 Ohms one.
Charles

I don't really think that the H (8ohm) or J (16ohm) actually are so far from each other when driven by the same amp. The driver is sensitive 97db/1W so for home listening or even at (small) party level you get by with a 50W D class amp. I have used Hifimediy boards.

I use 2-time Hifimediy T1x4 so I have 8 channels. That's 62USD each so no waist if and when I want to upgrade.

But of course, if you want to play loud then you need much more. The best amp modules are today Hypex NC400 or some of their UcD amps.

Here is Hypex NC400 review and here as comparison Crown XLS 1502

I also think that EQ and XO such a setup (or any setup) with passive components will not give much room to find the best solution. So the far easiest way to do it is to use minDSP digtal filters. A good starting point is the 2x4HD (works also as premap) or if you are on a budget the plain 2x4HD 95USD.

There are many questions and good answers but only by doing will you know and learn. So build the box and get some sound from your setup. You will learn and you will get help with the next steps to take.

Se my picture. I hade these old KEF105 speakers. Took the base from them and put the horn on top. That was not difficult to do but I had the parts laying around for a year before I realized I can use them together.

Attachments

• 2385 JBL text.jpg
    2385 JBL text.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 648
If you like to have as close as possible to an M2 for the poors then the JBL 708 studio monitor would be a good starting point to copy.

Here's an more obtainable approach:
Waveguide: DIY Sound Group SEOS8
Tweeter: ScanSpeak ring radiator
Woofer: B&C 8BG51
Crossover amp: minIDSP PWR-250

Direct radiating ring rather than CD, and SEOS contour rather than ICW (which you can't buy anyway in this size) but that sounds like a recipe for a nice high power standmount.