What Are Your Favorite Vintage Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Energy 22 Reference Connoisseurs,my current speakers.

Attachments

• refcons.jpg
    refcons.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 336
One thing I find both interesting, and humorous. Is how 'vintage' will mean different things, depending on the member's age, LOL.
I became addicted in 1985. These are the speakers I lusted after in the magazines, and Dallas Hi Fi stores.

39892072834_201f3f063f_b.jpg
[/url]Screenshot_2016-03-02-17-53-51 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

B&W Matrix 801 3s

39708164855_dcbf24c183_b.jpg
[/url]Screenshot_2016-03-02-18-21-11 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

And while not quite so vintage, these were speakers I admired a LOT in the 90s, as long as they were in a large room. Energy Veritas V2.8

38793319810_a408a84d7c_z.jpg
[/url]Screenshot_2016-03-02-18-16-07 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

But a speaker that we all know is flawed, and colored .... yet every time I heard it with tubes, or Luxman receivers, I somehow just got lost in the music. I found them very easy to listen to at lower levels. Seems crazy to me, but the Klipsch Chorus IIs held my most wanted short list.

38793304790_a4e346d8a4_c.jpg
[/url]Screenshot_2016-03-02-18-49-23 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't know what I must have been thinking! My very first HiFi speakers ever. These are what started me into this addiction. I bought them used, for $180.

I think it will be interesting to see how long it takes for someone to name these speakers. :D I will give hints, if it takes too long. Let's start with these: Floor standing at 36" tall. It's an 8" woofer and 3/4" tweeter.

40711583491_be439c2eac_z.jpg
[/url]speaker box - rt by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Flaxxer -

Vintage:

1 a (1) : a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard ;
(2) : wine especially - a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single year;

b : a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things;

2 : the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine;

3 a : a period of origin or manufacture- i.e. a piano of 1845 vintage;

b : length of existence - age

Given enough growth rings, my "seems like just yesterday" could be your "ancient history"

edit:
PS, while some of us may have DIY builds long in the tooth, I guess your definition of vintage would refer specifically to commercial products.

Last edited:
@ chrisb ... The last speakers I posted were made in a garage. They are from a particular time period .... The early to mid 80s. So they are vintage to me. I was not into DIY speaker building until recently. So I can't post vintage DIY favorites. The commercial ones are MY vintage experience.

Yes guys ... I was incorrect. The tweeter was/is a 1". And yes, it is the Phillips Poly-carbonate. The 8" woofer is poly as well. It was made by Toby.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.