Wharfedale 8.3 modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I`m new here,
but maybe you can help me to improve my florstanders Wharfedale 8.3.

The problem is - I use them for music connected to Denon 700AE amp.

Last month I hook-up my small Wharfedale 7.1 that I`m using on my AV receiver just for fun - and was stunned!!!

Small 7.1 have much clearer tweeters and much more natural midragne (vocals especially) and weaker bass (witch is understandable).

Now I don`t want to put floorstanders back on Denon...

Is there any possibility to modify crossover section to get sound like on small 7.1???

thanks to everyone here!!

...time to start the DIY route ...:rolleyes:
What about subwoofers?:rolleyes:

(I would start to dismantle the ones that I don't like, the 8.3s, and keep the others untouched.They would be an useful reference for ...future projects !?!)
BTW I donated a subwoofer to a guy who had a pair of 8.1
They sounded quite good powered by a 20 Watt chipamp ( Tda 7266 ?? ) and the
sub was powered by...3 W !!!

The fact about floorstanders...is that the wood ( cheap) dissipate much energy
so it's not just an electrical factor like the crossover, being most of audio things related to mechanics.
More, analyzing floorstanders ( ugly !!) you can see that the air column inside is prone to form stationary waves, which influence the movement of the cone and the sound.
If you want to dismantle them, start from the back panel ( hint: use a hammer :):):):cool: ) and now GM would think...Hmmmmm
Yes !! make a 1/4 wave something and see the (hear) results.
But...the drivers are very cheap and designed to perform with average quality regardless of the crossover, me think.

thanks for reply...
I`m very happy with low frequency on 8.3, just wanna improve mid and high on them...
don`t wanna distroy them!!

no modding has done so far, so I wonder are they so "flofy" made by the factory...
And since you can upgrade CD player or turntable, why not speakers as well...

:p:D:eek:
oh yes, sure, the bass is allright...!
What you can do: get a better tweeter; make it three ways; both would include a remake of the crossover.
Make a new baffle, just the portion containing the drivers and the duct; the duct can be placed on the back panel.
Another thing to say, the 7.1 have a waveguide around the tweeter, helping to extend lower (mid-treble) frequency capability of the tweeter.
So you might replicate it on the bigger ones. But first, you'll have to remove the woofers from both to get access to the crossover and see the difference.
hint for waveguide : monacor dt-300 Vifa C17WH-

Just an idea:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.