OBERTON drivers ? If yes, why not anyone using them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is this European driver manufacturer Oberton

Home

They seem to have many interesting drivers

Has someone actually used these ? Those 10" and 12" midranges / midbasses for example

oberton_12l300_gross.jpg

Oberton 8MB201 was tested in an German magazine last year.

8MB201_new.jpg

76439_2.jpg

It got rather good marks

Die Klirrwerte sind sensationell niedrig,
selbst bei 105 dB erheben sich K2 und K3
nur stellenweise über die 1-%-Marke und
zeigen keinerlei Ausreißer. Der Wasserfall
zeigt, dass die wenigen Resonanzen harmlos
sind, sie klingen schnell ab.

translation powered by googel:

The distortion values ​​are sensationally low,
even at 105 dB, K2 and K3 raise
only locally on the 1 -% level and
show no outliers. the waterfall
shows that the resonances few harmless
, they disappear fast.

People no want to use drivers with "sensationally low distortion" ??? :cannotbe:

Last edited:
Well, i have used the coaxial 8cx with good results.

Welcome to Flickr!

The could have done a better job on the throat and the voicecoil is sticking up a little to much.

But for a battery drive partyspeaker they worked out really nice.

I used a minidsp+miniamp.
Then i used autoeq on REW to make them play as flat as possible way past the crossover point.
Applied a seccond order LR at and adjusted delay until the phase looked good.

Well, i have used the coaxial 8cx with good results.

Welcome to Flickr!

The could have done a better job on the throat and the voicecoil is sticking up a little to much.

But for a battery drive partyspeaker they worked out really nice.

I used a minidsp+miniamp.
Then i used autoeq on REW to make them play as flat as possible way past the crossover point.
Applied a seccond order LR at and adjusted delay until the phase looked good.

I went through your results, and one thing that caught my eye was the lack of energy after 10 kHz. Was this a result of your implementation, or is there really nothing to expect after that boundary from these drivers?

I'm currently looking for a suitable 8-10 inch coaxial driver for my open baffle project, and the Oberton 8CX and BMS 8C250 are currently strong candidates for the "next step".

Give me a day to find the rest of the measurements.

Unfortunately i no longer own these.
But if you ask me and my bad memory, at the levels these were made to play.
You didn't miss any high at all.

What I'm looking for is a coaxial 8" driver that's good for a project that's looking to destroy anything in the High End of loudspeakers under ten grand. The BMS holds a place close to my heart for anything like this for it's ring diaphragm compression driver, which I have some experience with. So I need much justification to go with the Oberton, which isn't that much cheaper than the BMS...

What I'm looking for is a coaxial 8" driver that's good for a project that's looking to destroy anything in the High End of loudspeakers under ten grand. The BMS holds a place close to my heart for anything like this for it's ring diaphragm compression driver, which I have some experience with. So I need much justification to go with the Oberton, which isn't that much cheaper than the BMS...
Haven't heard/measured one I still think the Faital 8HX200 might be a suitable candidate for your needs, at least it looks quite nice on paper and also has an annular tweeter diaphragm ;)
Won't be cheap either, that is....

Thanks for the measurements, Nissep. I'll look at these once I get my REW updated.

That FaitalPro is an interesting option. Though this is slipping to the off-topic side of things... Still, I found some measurements that seem to back up the manufacturers datasheet. Expensive, though. Could get a pair of Oberton 8CX for the price of a single FaitalPro. And still have plenty of money for beer left.

Oberton 10MI 250, 12L Pro (similar to 12L 300) and 15B 450 measured on axis, in the box with front panel recessed so diffraction is present. Anyway, measured frequency response is similar to the factory data.
Sorry, it was so long ago, actually it was 12L Pro, not 12B 400.

Attachments

• Oberton.png
    Oberton.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.