Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Bass horn project
Bass horn project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Paul Scearce is offline Paul Scearce  United States
diyAudio Member

Since I'll be rolling new woofer cones, I decided to simulate different voice coils in hornresp. It turned out that I got the best predicted match between the bass and midrange horns if I use 36 gauge wire in both. My amp is 3.5w/channel, so there isn't too much danger of smoking the coils. I think I'll try parchment paper cones for curiosities sake. That gives a predicted mass corner close to 2kHz. If they are too fragile, poster paper should give the same bass response, but with a lower mass corner.
Old 26th February 2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Top Shelf is offline Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Please oh please use a P-100 half face respirator mask. 3M or North make them. It'll suck later on having to listen to such a fine system over the noise of a supplementry oxygen mask if you get some sort of lung disease.
But anyways.. beautiful work!!
Old 26th February 2014, 05:55 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the advice about the respirator. I knew I would need something more than paper dust masks before I started mixing. Also thanks for the kind words.
Old 26th February 2014, 06:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Parchment paper turned out to be much too flimsy for a 15" cone. In fact, the poster board may be pushing things. The first prototype poster board cone weighs 25g without the voice coil or suspension.

I had some misgivings about a 36 gauge voice coil controlling that mass, and I only had vague memories of measurements I made years ago to estimate the gap flux. I decided to measure one of the old homemade woofers for some more solid numbers. Based on the impedence measurements, the gap flux density is over 2.4T. The 36 gauge vc should work just fine.

Bass horn projectHide this!Advertise here!