Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....
Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2013, 09:06 PM   #1
SpeakerScott is offline SpeakerScott  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeakerScott Send a message via MSN to SpeakerScott Send a message via Yahoo to SpeakerScott
Default Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....

Sometime last year I became totally enamored by the Synergy Horn concept after several "a-ha" moments about how Tom Danley's other inventions work (Paraline, and Tapped Horn.) My S.O. (the bestest wife in the whole wide world) gave me permission to build a set of three for the LCR of our home theater. After many...many prototypes, rebuilds, back-tracks and a few choice words they are mostly done. I have Tom's permission to post details of my design, as it's his idea and he has it very well covered by patents.

First...for those that haven't heard a well designed DIY Synergy Horn, or the real deal. Find some. Now. They really are that special. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and have designed audio equipment professionally on/off for over 20 years. They image better than any other speaker, and there is a precision and clarity that some of the crazy high end magnesium/beryllium/unobtanium based speakers can't match.

So, without further ado here are the basics for each speaker:

4 Dayton Classic 8" woofers, 295-310
4 Dayton Designer Series 3" woofers, 295-422
1 PRV Audio D290Py-B, 294-2833

22.5" Cube
60x60 Coverage Area
45Hz to 18kHz +/-3dB (ish)...more on that later.

I'll be posting the photo's I took during the build and my drawings...but it's going to take some time to put together all the info...so patience is appreciated. Questions are welcome at any time.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SynergyFront2small.jpg (532.5 KB, 5219 views)
File Type: jpg SynergyClose3small.jpg (413.1 KB, 4196 views)
Old 27th October 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeakerScott Send a message via MSN to SpeakerScott Send a message via Yahoo to SpeakerScott
Next up are some frequency response plots. I designed the speaker using SoundEasy V18, a Dayton Microphone and a custom jig I designed. SoundEasy is one of the best values...but also one of the quirkiest pieces of software I've ever used.

The on/off axis plots were measured with a real speaker in slightly different conditions than were used to measure the individual drivers for crossover development. I believe I might have some early reflections from a compost pile, trash can and garage door creeping in the on-off axis plots (taken at 0-10-20-30-45 degrees) which I didn't have for the measurements used for crossovers. Those were taken in a very large wide open band hall.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on-offaxis.jpg (284.4 KB, 4033 views)
File Type: jpg speakerfr.jpg (64.5 KB, 3955 views)
Old 27th October 2013, 09:21 PM   #3
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Really nice project! They look great too! Looking forward to see the build pictures.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:51 PM   #4
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerScott View Post
The on/off axis plots were measured with a real speaker in slightly different conditions than were used to measure the individual drivers for crossover development.
Scott,

Response looks great, surprising amount of low end for a sealed (I assume) enclosure.
What was the cabinet distance from the ground in the off axis measurements?

Have you done any sensitivity or phase measurements?

22.5" wide, that would only cover up 6" of the window by my speaker position...

Art
Old 27th October 2013, 10:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Scott,

Response looks great, surprising amount of low end for a sealed (I assume) enclosure.
What was the cabinet distance from the ground in the off axis measurements?

Have you done any sensitivity or phase measurements?

22.5" wide, that would only cover up 6" of the window by my speaker position...

Art

It was a ground plane measurement. Ignore sensitivity though...that's not absolute, relative it's good, no gains were changed.

The Dayton woofers work well in a moderately sized sealed enclosure. I have phase measurements...but they aren't quite where I want them. The crossover still needs some fine tuning. I have plenty of overlap in the drivers, and where I was really good at notch filtering using LSPCad Pro 5.0...in Windows 7 and SoundEasy I find the interface annoying and need to revisit. I still have the tweeter leading the mids/woofs by a small amount.

Scott
Old 27th October 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It was a ground plane measurement.
The crossover still needs some fine tuning.
Ground plane would explain the LF .

I was hoping you had designed passive crossovers we could copy, oh well..
Old 27th October 2013, 10:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Ground plane would explain the LF .

I was hoping you had designed passive crossovers we could copy, oh well..
They are passives...and I'll post the current schematic. Just realize there are more things that can be done to improve phase response. And the crossover may change.

I have tons of driver overlap, and yet I'm still dealing with 2'nd order or higher acoustic rolloff too close to crossover frequency. I found SoundEasy much more difficult to play with phase than LSPCad...I may fire up my old XP box to do the crossover in LSPCad and import it into SoundEasy for tuning...still not decided.

Scott
Old 27th October 2013, 10:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They are passives...and I'll post the current schematic. Just realize there are more things that can be done to improve phase response. And the crossover may change.
Scott,

I misunderstood, the response you posted using passive crossovers appears as smooth as any of the DSL Synergies, impressive.
Old 27th October 2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Beau is offline Beau
diyAudio Member

Nice work, seems Synergies are the new Black
Old 28th October 2013, 12:21 AM   #10
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

The PRV Audio D290Py-B looks like a very affordable well performing compression driver. Glad to see people trying new products. Nice job!

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....Hide this!Advertise here!