vintage Philips loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have a pair of Philips "MFB Electronic 22 RH 532" speakers, housing built-in amplifiers - a free gift from my in-laws, who bought them 30 years ago...
The tweeters & médiums are dead. Philips does not seem to be able to replace them. I just called Philips France, to learn that they no longer make loudspeakers : Marantz provides them...

Does anyone know whether these tweeters & médiums are still available ; or, more probably, what are equivalent models can be used as replacements?

References :
• tweeters 2,5 cm AD 0160T
• médiums 12 cm , AD 5060 Sq
(output 20 watts)

What would you recommend ?
Thanks !
Eric Mounier
(who never throws anything away)

http://www.mfbfreaks.com/ENG/index1.html

you could try contacting them, the forum is in Dutch though :(

Number of speakers : 3
Low unit : AD 8065 /MFB
Mid unit : AD 5060 /Sq8
High unit : AD 0160 /T8
Number of amps : 2
Low amp power : 40 W
Mid/high amp power : 20 W
Output capacitor amp :yes
Cross-over : 500 Hz (active) + 3500 Hz (passive)
Year of birth : 1974
Remarks : Very first MFB based system.

Replacing the tweeter is straight forward, the mid may be difficult.
Does the mid have a closed back ? or its own enclosure ?
Does the passive crossover contain any resistors ?
You sure the mid/high amplifiers work ?
Are all drivers open circuit ?

:) sreten.

Attachments

• mfb.jpg
    mfb.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,181
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tweeters 2,5 cm AD 0160T

I just picked up a mismatched pair of these last weekend (i've seen at least 3 flavours) but run across them fairly often. (ie a matched set siting boxed up ready to ship to a client)

The 5060 is used as a very small bandwidth filler driver and is essentially a 5" whizzerless FR/midbass in a small plastic enclosure. I may have a set of these sans enclosure (with a different designation)

These were very common DIY items over here in the 70s so should be fairly common and "relatively" easy to scare up used. Some patience may be required.

dave

Hello!

The SQ-5060 is out of production but replacemnent SQ-50600 can still be found at some speaker stores, dont know if it is still in production.

Look at www.hifikit.se for instance

Use the search function and type in "philips"

You will see the 50600 and a copy of AD0163.
The AD0163 is, as I understand, the third generation of AD0160.

I hope this can be of some help to you.

Best regards

Martin Dellstig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.