Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Monster Massive
Monster Massive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2019, 10:52 PM   #261
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
So basically there's a series of things happening in the Yamaha's midrange that might be impairing things:

1) possibly a steep xover, which is also complicated by it's use of FIR filters

2) diffraction off that sharp cabinet edge

3) my walls are 100% untreated, and according to cask05's wiki, I need to address that

4) the Yamaha fits very tightly into a corner, so reflections off the walls are likely more audible. Or are they less?
Hi,

I don't think#1) on your list is a problem....
The crossover is at 2.1kHz and whatever order xover is being used, it appears phase has been taken care of via FIR.

BTW, what are you using for a sub, and it's crossover to the dxr12?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DXR12.JPG (66.1 KB, 209 views)
Old 12th February 2019, 03:38 AM   #262
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Patrick: thank you for the usually entertaining posts! By a coincidence, I had The The's "Mind Bomb" and played it for first time on my Yorkville U15 Unity -- wow! Great studio effects, perhaps to compete with Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or the Wall, even. Disclaimer: I have been using a famous smoked herb (or vaped) that is on prescription in FL but is over the counter in CA. It has notable improvement to the imaging of the system.
Old 12th February 2019, 05:08 AM   #263
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

I was a huge fan of the Smiths in the 80s, so when the band blew up, I basically bought up everything the former band members did.

So when Johnny Marr wound up playing for The The, it was a no brainer. The album is really nicely recorded.

About ten years later, Morrissey lamented that The Smiths albums were so poorly recorded.

I wish I had the chance to meet Marr! He lived about eight blocks from one of my friends in Portland, and I often hoped I'd bump into him at Starbucks or something lol.

Johnny Marr On Quitting School, Moving To Portland And Wearing Capes : NPR

" I'll jump on a plane and go off to Portland and stay there for five years. If that's where the good stuff is or if that's where I need to be — wherever the idea is for music, my life follows that."

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 12th February 2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #264
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Portland is gone. Portlandia now, hipsters flooding in on every flight.
Old 12th February 2019, 02:07 PM   #265
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
Portland is gone. Portlandia now, hipsters flooding in on every flight.
As distasteful as some hipsterism can be, let's not forget that they are the future generation of speaker folks. The people buying vinyl are actually likely to sit their butts down and listen to a record actively, and develop an interest in true hifi. DIY has some cred in that scene, too, so let's not let manbuns and coffee snobbery dissuade us from accepting the next generation of dorks who like good sound.
Old 12th February 2019, 03:02 PM   #266
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Ohhhhhhkayyyyy...
Old 12th February 2019, 04:07 PM   #267
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
As distasteful as some hipsterism can be, let's not forget that they are the future generation of speaker folks. The people buying vinyl are actually likely to sit their butts down and listen to a record actively, and develop an interest in true hifi. DIY has some cred in that scene, too, so let's not let manbuns and coffee snobbery dissuade us from accepting the next generation of dorks who like good sound.
Well said!
Old 15th February 2019, 08:33 AM   #268
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Monster Massive
Badman, Hah! I really like that view!
You're saying that hipsters are geeks weirdly centered on a peak of fashion. Makes it easier to accept for sure.

PB, yeah I get the dispersion is what it is, the Yamaha's where intended for outdoor or wide pattern coverage. They brag about it extensively in the sales paper. Part reason of why I like my 15-300TC's so much. How are they with foam plugs?

Monster MassiveHide this!Advertise here!