open baffle - mcm 55-2972 10"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone ever used these. I'm not expecting miracles but MCM seems to have its share of bargains.

I want to use them with a miniDSP in an open baffle along the lines of gainphile's s20-z.

QTS is just under .5. fs is close to 40hz.

need around 40-80hz covered.

these are experimenting/toddler poking speakers but I will probably have to live with them for a couple years.

I'd be surprised if there aren't a few out there given the ridiculous price.

Links below.

Last edited:
I know another Diyaudio member bought some 0.3 Qts woofers from MCM that he said were built very well, but they measured 0.9, and another batch 0.7 IIRC... worst case scenario, they have even higher QTS than you think, and need less EQ. Not sure how low they would go OB Hframe, but thats the best OB if you wanna go low... just at the expense of sensitivity.

I would caution though as that driver is not of the type he ordered, his were pro audio, but for $10, its a good price for a woofer to play with. Shipping may change that depending on your location. I know shipping to Toronto didn't sound very nice over the phone haha.

$56 for four if I get them shipped to my in-laws. Guess I'd kind of made up my mind already but perspectives are always useful.

At any rate, I'm sure there must be something I could use them for.

Perhaps my four year old will want to rock in his room. Or decoys to keep our toddler away from the good speakers :).

Hi, did you end up ordering these and have you done anything with them if so?

I'm thinking about an N frame/Ripole with 4 of the 12" version of this driver per side. I would be using them as the bottom of a dipole 3-way not as sub woofers. I was planning on the peerless 830669, but at $100 for 8 these are looking intriguing.

I'm worried that the T/S specs are way off though. From what I've read elsewhere, some people are getting some seriously wacky numbers from MCM drivers, like the stuff posted on the website is just some random numbers they threw up there.

Thanks

Yep, I read that. I'll have to take another look at it. My guess is that they would be fine, at least in a application where the expectations aren't super high.

I have a feeling that the qt is closer to 1.0 though.

One question, is there any drawback to using a driver with a q of say over 1 and then just actively eqing out any bass boost that you get from it? Would the driver still sound loose if it was equalized to a q of .5-.7?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.