baffled by baffle for 2 way mini bookshelf speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
I am building a pair of 2-way sealed bookshelf speakers and I am unsure of whether a wide or narrow baffle is better.
The drivers will be a silkdome tweeter with a 4inch "woofer" and they will be crossed at around 4.5k Hz 2nd order for the highs and 1st order for the lows.
Thanks in advance.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Having a higher baffle frequency also means more off axis energy to deal with. This will be over a wider range into the midrange. This could be dealt with but it isn't always easy.

For easier predictable results I feel the baffle should be larger.

Some prefer more off axis energy for spaciousness. In this case the baffle change might be seen as having an upper limit instead of a lower one. In other words, baffle width could be seen as a compromise with no ideal size, and which requires further setup either way.

If you are using a dome, I'd agree with crossing a little lower but this is mostly a guess without measurement. You don't want the woofer to become directional before the crossover.

Hello again and thank you all for your replies.
I have decided to crossover at 2.5khz. With a narrow baffle.
I do understand that there is a calculator for bsc on diyaudioprojects however I do not understand from where am I to get the value(db) to attenuate from.
Thanks in advance

Quartz, if you really want to desing a good diy-speaker, you must learn to use some simulation program!

There are many and here you can find help how to do it even without measurements (See top box of this page). Running simulations teaches you to understand what effect different parameters make.

It is also helpful to study web pages of succesful projects like these:
Zaph Krutke Zaph|Audio
Paul Carmody https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/
Troels Gravesen DIY Loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.