JBL 2226h, what to do from here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was redoing a sound system at a bar and found a good number of blown JBL 2226h speakers. I asked the owner if I could have them, and he said "if you can fix em keep em". SO, now I wanted to come to a board that has saved me on NUMEROUS occasions and ask some advice.

I want to build some simple speakers from the ground up, using these as the base. I was hoping for just these woofers and a tweeter. I will use them in my "man room" for gaming/music/movies, and want to know the best way to go about this. I have done a pretty thorough search of the forums to find other ideas that would work for me, but didn't come across anything. If anyone knows of anything, let me know!

Also, the smaller the better. Kinda want it to fit on a desk?

Recone

I was redoing a sound system at a bar and found a good number of blown JBL 2226h speakers. I asked the owner if I could have them, and he said "if you can fix em keep em". SO, now I wanted to come to a board that has saved me on NUMEROUS occasions and ask some advice.

I want to build some simple speakers from the ground up, using these as the base. I was hoping for just these woofers and a tweeter. I will use them in my "man room" for gaming/music/movies, and want to know the best way to go about this. I have done a pretty thorough search of the forums to find other ideas that would work for me, but didn't come across anything. If anyone knows of anything, let me know!

This may be helpful:
JBL 2226H Recone

I would plan on a 3-way system.

Here is an additional URL:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=201515

Regards,

WHG

Last edited:
The recommended PI site has detailed information on his designs.

The plot of the response shows a large increased SPL at 1 kHz (600-3kHz) this will dominate the sound of the speaker.
When someone likes that it is OK but it not neutral tuned, what I would aspect of some one who shows all the technical background he would be able to get the response flat arround 1kHz.
Probably he wants to lay accent on the presence to get a opensound. For flat response it has to be reduced 3dB from 600 to 3kHz.

threePi_response.gif

Last edited:
... If anyone knows of anything, let me know!

The plot of the response shows a large increased SPL at 1 kHz (600-3kHz) this will dominate the sound of the speaker.
When someone likes that it is OK but it not neutral tuned, what I would aspect of some one who shows all the technical background he would be able to get the response flat arround 1kHz....

I have JBL 2226s. The Pi speaker looks pretty decent but ideally the x-over frequency should be lower, with a little wider horn and, naturally, the compression driver is more expensive. Any of the JBL 1.5" exit drivers would be a nice match. 2450SL perhaps the best. Then 2451 or 2447 then the 3" voice coil units, 2452 or 2453, preferably the SL versions if you can find/afford them.
A tweeter is nice too. I started with JBL 2226 + 2447 and eventually added 2405 slot tweeters and 2445 sub-woofers. Depends on what you want to spend, of course, the 2 way can be pretty nice. But on a desk?
Maybe use them AS a desk.

Best wishes
David

You can also recone some as 2235Hs too.

Dont, a 2235 kit does physically fit a 2226 basket, but the voice coil would be wrongly positioned in the gap, and are also intended for a different motor structure with a much narrover gap.

Attachment shows 2235 on the left, 2226 on the rigth

A 2235ish recone job CAN be done with aftermarket parts.
a 2235 cone, a 7" Outer, 4" inner flat spider with a "C" stiffness and a voice coil for a 2226, but this require exact positioning of the individual parts in the basket for a good result.

Attachments

• 2235 on left, 2226 on right DSCN8279 (3).jpg
    2235 on left, 2226 on right DSCN8279 (3).jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
The 4pi looks great! Although I will say I am not sure I have all the tools needed to make those speakers boxes.... it is a little more complicated than I originally anticipated. Are there premade wood kits anywhere? I am trying to think of the best way to use these almost free 2226h woofers. Also debated just putting them up for sale.

I also agree with Dave, the 4pi should really be tuned to a lower frequency than it is. Also, the only tweeters i have here are the ones for JBL control 28s, not nearly enough power to match the 2226h I don't think. Any other suggestions for builds are great. Thanks so much for the help!

I also agree with Dave, the 4pi should really be tuned to a lower frequency than it is. Also, the only tweeters i have here are the ones for JBL control 28s, not nearly enough power to match the 2226h I don't think. Any other suggestions for builds are great. Thanks so much for the help!

So, you have tweeters that you're limited to and that's something you didn't bother to disclose?

:mad:

... the 4pi should really be tuned to a lower frequency than it is...

The "tuned to a frequency" usually refers to the frequency of the bass reflex system.
Be sure not to confuse this with the x-over frequency to the tweeter that I mentioned.
And a minor correction of my own. I made a typo, should have written 2245 sub-woofer.
You are correct that the tweeters you have are a poor match. Better to use a decent compression driver or else sell the frames to a sympathetic new owner.

Best wishes
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.