My sand "burned in"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry Cal & Sy,

Multiways is a strange place to talk about sand, is there an actual better section for that or maybe a futur section (why not, there is a vendor bazar place, why not a place for "theory, psychological, medical, etc, apprehension of hifi listening ?).

Maybe it's a bit complicated because the talk is an UFO listening theory and it mix many knowledges (hifi, brain, physic, epistemology, measures) and many have difficulty to priotirize the choosen knowledge to make the thread more readable...

and cultural : auplater ! Nice Giacometi pieces ! Volcan Sand ? You put it on the top of the speakers ? You measure it:D

Last edited:
Sy, while it *IS* a interesting topic, doing actual measurements is just way more then i want to get into. Im off into modding my BluRay and am long past the speakers at this point. Its days worth of work, and getting it all into some charts and analyzing it all is a lot of work. I dont even have the gear to really do it fully. I would need some good spectrum analyzer maybe or maybe a distortion analyzer. I would have to mic a number of locations and do all sorts of correlation with the data. AND because it will be debated ad nausea I would need to reach some solid scientifically valid level of certainty because if i dont there would be more crazy posting, and i know you dont want more crazy posting. In fact if I really did intense work on this I think it would just produce more wild postings, banning and effort for moderators. Just lock the topic, I have no issue with that.

It *IS* a very interesting topic, its ACTUALLY worthy of REAL scientific investigation. BUT for me its not important at all. My speakers are full of sand, I love um, im done. Im on to other worthy things to improve my experience. So I would love to jump on this and spend a week of time, find some physics guy at CERN who might help us get hold of some super compute cycles and then model and measure and see if what we model matches what we measure in order to determine a valid "discovery" level statistics on it to determine without reasonable doubt if sand does burn-in in a speaker. I just dont think im the one to do it.

So someone else can tho :) I would sure read that and be very interested. I might submit the study for a ignobel tho. Just sayin..

Eldam:
Maybe the enclosure is the mass and the sand is the spring.

You are right on the money. While my speaker is now like 90 lbs and my stand is, more, its base on 3 point spikes has become a bit of a spring forward/back because I only used 3/4" oak plywood for the base when really it should have been like 1/4 steel or 2 or 3 pieces of 3/4 ply or MDF.. So I think this weight on this base is a clear issue. I cant feel the speaker move at all during use it must be moving some.

Hahahha... a bunch of posts while I was typing..

So auplater your suggesting I burn-in my sand in my speakers by having them struck by lightning. Interesting !.. So hoist each one up out of the top of my laboratory into a storm.. Then wrench each one down and see if the sound comes alive.. Interesting..

Ive heard of cryo treating things, but never struck by lightning...

I must say this has been fun.. And all kidding aside.. You guys are a smart bunch, even if you do take opposing views on some things..

Last edited:
I'm headed for my wife's superb home-made ravioli di zucca and a nice dry moscato from Trento.
I want to visit you one day. Actually I want to meet the eye lady, truth be told.
One hopes that everyone will stick to discussing the actual topic, which has many interesting points to commend it.
Ya, best of luck with that.

I love this thread...

The last two moderators post are off topics, vendredi c'est ravioli ! I love that, I want to drink a coca with Sy the white bear and a black beer with Cal... sure think before to my family.

Good night guys (here in France)... vous etes formidable.

Sorry Cal & Sy,

Multiways is a strange place to talk about sand, is there an actual better section for that or maybe a futur section (why not, there is a vendor bazar place, why not a place for "theory, psychological, medical, etc, apprehension of hifi listening ?).

Maybe it's a bit complicated because the talk is an UFO listening theory and it mix many knowledges (hifi, brain, physic, epistemology, measures) and many have difficulty to priotirize the choosen knowledge to make the thread more readable...

and cultural : auplater ! Nice Giacometi pieces ! Volcan Sand ? You put it on the top of the speakers ? You measure it:D

I run a forum on physics going on at CERN at the LHC.. Its not really popular now as the lHC is shutdown for upgrades.. But.. We had a lot of flat loony people who were sure the LHC was going to create a black hole or stable strange matter and consume the earth/universe. These topics got so heated and bizaare I created a sub forum I called the controversial forum. It allowed any subject and people could fight like crazy and little if any moderation would occur. It was the most popular section. Its all pretty dead now, but DiyAudio might consider a area where topics can be started, or moved to, that are controversial and heated.

I put a nice banner that explains the rules for this section. There are threads here with stunning numbers of views. Not too many people are gutsy enough to post tho. Its a fun area. Maybe you guys needs one of these http://www.lhcportal.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Yes, sure ! (but we are not fighting... we are gentlemen)

You remember the journalist who called the Higgs particle : 'the God particle" because he didn't understand than the scientist talked about the "good particle"

Everybody nowadays call Higgs's particle : the God's particle ! Crasy No ?

Serious international staff at the LHC, crazy some people thought they were create black Hole !

Have to remove the tablett in the WC ...sorry OT! (sincere good night)

Last edited:
Well after moving my speaker into the oven and then moving it back I could not hear any difference what so ever. This must have moved the sand around inside it I would think. But, I did not jostle or bump the speaker at all, so it never got a hard shock.So the sand coulda stayed about the same amount of settlement...

I also unsoldered/resoldered it to move it. i dont believe in connectors, I like to solder. I could also not detect this. I would have thought I might as the newly soldered connection might be audible, but no..

So this is all a example of times when i was expecting burn-out and then have to re burn-in but no clearly not.

Also im now keeping a chart of humidity/temp/barometric pressure of the room just to make sure all variables are taken into account. I am of course also monitoring the cosmic wind SWPC ACE RTSW MAG & SWEPAM 24-hour Updating Plot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.