Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The Eminence Beta CX-10 . What have you done with it lately ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2017, 05:45 AM   #281
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

After a lot of delay and various problems I rigged up my CX10 again along with the bass unit yesterday. Both OB of course but the bass unit ( 18 inch , Eminence EPA-CHP-3018LF) has short wings. The HF is an ASD1001 compression driver.
Currently I'm using Eminence's own crossover PXB2 2k5CX .

No LF eq on the CX10 yet . The 18 inch bass driver isn't powered up yet. On the OB it's Qts is 0.33 and Fs is about 24.9 Hz.
The CX10 on the OB measures as follows:
Fs 49 Hz and Qts 0.48

Been playing it as is and it sounds promising . But as expected the bass roll off makes it sound 'light' ! Will need to add the bass eq after I measure the response. I plan to take all measurements in the actual listening position.

Did anyone add a series resistor to increase the effective Q of the driver to improve the LF response without eq ? Maybe it's just a waste of power I guess when it can be actively equalised.

I'm playing The Best of Jake Concepcion and just turned up the volume. Sounds superb even with all the current shortcomings ! Will try out a curved wing behind the CX10 to improve the LF extension, before eq.

Last edited by ashok; 22nd June 2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:39 AM   #282
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Quick update: I added a wing behind the CX10. About 7 inches deep.
Sounds terrible. The sound became more noisy , louder lower mid and lost the balance of sound that it had earlier. Was a sort of cuppy sound . Didn't hear any improvement in the LF which was the reason why I added it !
With just a flat baffle it sounds best ! I'll just have to equalise the LF in the amp. Need to measure the response to determine how low it can go without too much eq. I want to try and get down to 80Hz with eq on the CX10 .

Anyone tried LR4 between the full range section and the bass driver ?
Old 26th June 2017, 11:18 AM   #283
rkondra is offline rkondra  United States
diyAudio Member

EQ in the usual manner is dumping voltage into a very deep hole that has been dug by the too - low - Q. EQ the current by modifying the amplifier output Z more directly attacks the problem, and does not require monumental amplifier voltage. Variable Amplifier Impedance
Old 14th March 2019, 06:52 PM   #284
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

How do people use these Eminence coaxes with regular non screw-on compression drivers?
Old 14th March 2019, 07:02 PM   #285
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

With adapters: screw on to bolt on horn adapter - Google Search

GM

The Eminence Beta CX-10 . What have you done with it lately ?Hide this!Advertise here!