tweeter with 98 db sensitivity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all
I,m trying to find a tweeter to pair with 2 x audax aerogel hm100zo in a mmt configuration
the audax drivers will be used as mids in a 3 way connected in parallel so giving 99 db and hence my problem

I cant find anything for a budget of around $100 per tweeter that has both good power handling and sensitivity needed to match with these mids

the closest I can find is this vifa

Vifa DX25TG09 04 1" Fabric Dome Tweeter | eBay

any suggestions are welcome
Sheafer

If wanting to seriously get above ~95dB sensitivity, compression drivers are where it's at IMO. The usual suspects all make great units: BMS, Radian, 18sound, Beyma, B&C, Faital Pro... Selenium and P.Audio have fair units for a lower price. A good CD on a proper horn or waveguide can achieve better pattern control and better dynamics IMO.

IG

Hi Sheafer

Madisound currently has a special on the Hi-Vi RT2-Pro Isodynamic tweeters. They usually retail at $246.35, but are on special at $98.00 each. I know this as I want to get a pair myself, but my car needs some repairs and that is more urgent. :bawling: Oh well, I hope this helps you. :)

Enjoy,
Deon

The problem here is combing and driver separation dealing with the two mid.s used higher in freq. with any tweeter that isn't small.

A few ribbons and planars are available.. but they can't be crossed over particularly low.

This makes the overall design difficult - especially at a budget. (..worse if it's an MTM, rather than a TMM or MMT.)

One way to design with this in mind is a particular network structure (with delay for the tweeter when compared to the mid.s) where the tweeter is opposed to the MM line - i.e. to the side of the MM line, and specifically to the *outside* of the MM's.

Ex.removing or cutting down the dispersion control plate on the HiVi RT2-Pro and having it beside the line of MM's. You can see from the photo here that the back is much more narrow than the front plate suggests:

Product information:RT2-Pro Isodynamic Tweeter

I am using a small an inexpensive elliptical horn tweeter in an MTM system that I recently built. The tweeter can be used about about 2kHz, better above 3kHz. Sensitivity is about 100dB with 30W power handling but it does have the usual upper octave droop in the frequency response that is typical of horns. It's available from the DIYsoundgroup:
Denovo Mini Elliptical - Compression Drivers DIY Sound Group

hi all
Scottg is correct each driver is 93db so 2 in parallel is 99 db

I will checkout the hivi and other suggestions ,I don't think a ribbon will cut it though as they seem to have limited power handling and I don't want too sacrifice the power handling of the original design

here is a pic of the project and yes before any one says its not worth it ,cerwin vega etc etc ,I love the look ,the bass when given enough room is great , I just want to refine the mids and highs
the woofer rolls off on its own at 4 to 500hz so that's covered and id like to keep the same wmmt setup

thanks again to everyone for their suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_5837.jpg
    IMG_5837.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I'll almost guarantee the 15" isn't 102 db.. and I doubt that it's even 99 db.

Best to measure first (outside lifted up on a high platform) to see what you've actually got there.. (which is probably closer to 95-96 db). There is also the ground-plane method in a large auditorium space like a gym. (..and your typical near-field processed measurement.)

Of course the floor itself is probably adding a full 3db of gain, and from there you start looking at baffle-loss.

As for the old-school design - as long as you put in felt padding around the drivers to avoid reflection from the inset baffle, it shouldn't be a problem objectively.

(..I've heard this particular design, and was quite fond of the bass as well.)

HI Scott
i heard a few cw setups before this one and there is something about the AT15 that the later cv don't seem to have ,it actually sounds quite good the bass is well balanced but still hits hard when the music calls for it
the latest cv are also meant to be nice (sound not looks)

i feel that with the new aerogel mids ,a nice tweeter and new crossover it will be something i can live with for a long time

checking inside it is made with 18mm mdf and has good bracing ,the veneer is also perfect so i think the cabs are very usable .i have also bought some lead and will be lining the cabs

i will be using the speaker cups behind the mids so they are separate from the main cabs

Sheafer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.