Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Vintage speaker identification
Vintage speaker identification
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2013, 10:16 PM   #11
aulday is offline aulday  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would like to do the drivers and then get them re done like this maybe http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1W9AmbyjNe...0/P1010401.JPG
Old 12th September 2013, 10:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I wondered why there was a strange port hole behind the tweeter. seemingly complex arrangement: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zcFD632aJQ.../s1600/H33.jpg

I've successfully replicated the sub but it's going to be pot luck if the mid-bass fits that setup. Unless I can get the thiele parameters of the stock mid-bass drivers.

any ideas?
Old 13th September 2013, 01:17 AM   #13
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulday View Post
I built myself a sub using the exact same internal dimensions as the BP part of the floorstanders and sourced a 4.5" bass driver and it worked really well.
You were quite lucky then since historically many folks couldn't design a good performing BP even with specs, though in recent years one can now 'slide' their way to it with Hornresp's Wizard tool.

GM
Old 13th September 2013, 01:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
holy cr*p they REALLY look like the elipson 1303!
Interesting speaker! Looks like Thierry Martin did a restoration, so maybe he can 'shed some light' on driver selection: https://plus.google.com/photos/10929...265?banner=pwa

GM
Old 13th September 2013, 01:52 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wondered why there was a strange port hole behind the tweeter. seemingly complex arrangement: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zcFD632aJQ.../s1600/H33.jpg
Here's a thread about modifying the mid driver's double bass reflex [DBR] alignment, so maybe another source of driver info: Modificatie Elipson 1303

Nifty speaker! Surprised I've never encountered it before, especially on the various DBR threads and design websites devoted to it and/or BP alignments.

GM
Old 13th September 2013, 04:41 AM   #16
blistard is offline blistard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The ellipson 1303 was build with different tweeters. The version with the fostex ft7rp was most famous. Versions with dome tweeters were less wanted. Your version looks like one with a dome tweeter.
Old 13th September 2013, 08:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You were quite lucky then since historically many folks couldn't design a good performing BP even with specs, though in recent years one can now 'slide' their way to it with Hornresp's Wizard tool.

GM
That's what I thought. I basically replicated the external dimensions, fitted a large-ish telescopic 45 degree port, a couple henry's for a LP filter, and one of these twin voicecoil drivers: SPH-135TC

Using a tone generator in my bathroom I could hear down to 15Hz which is the lowest thing I've ever heard. It nicely starts responding where my JBL 4326p's roll off so compliments them well.

I couldn't tell you how efficient it is though, just that it makes the right noises and for a 5" driver takes a good amount of power due to twin coils.

----------

woaw that google page, they WERE the drivers! huge magnets. bringing back memories of taking them apart at aged 13 haha. they were SOO heavy for me to turn upside down then.

Thanks regarding the mid adjustment. I had no idea that was all going on behind there. I wondered why there was such a shallow wall behind the tweeter.

Mine was the type with the dome yes. I am itching to fit those Kevlar mid-basses though but need to make sure it'll sound right.

Very exciting to discover this! will be a while before I have space and time for the project but can't wait now
Old 13th September 2013, 08:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Just a side question here guys. I see that he glue-coated the cones. is this a good idea?

I'm currently diy refurbing a pair of BW DM110's by respraying and fitting seas tweeters. I want to do something to the cones can I PVA glue coat them and is this a good idea? or am I talking crap?
Old 13th September 2013, 08:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Can you tell me did Thierry Martin fully re-veneer those speakers or just sand and varnish them? I love the finish
Old 13th September 2013, 08:53 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

so the drivers are Audax HIF 13.

Vintage speaker identificationHide this!Advertise here!