Pics DIY Yuichi 290Hz Wood Horn

With one horn 'completed,' I worked on the adapters this weekend.

Added some putty, did some sanding etc. Coming together....

Attachments

• adapters.jpg
    adapters.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,390
  • back of horn.jpg
    back of horn.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,384
  • horn with putty on sides.jpg
    horn with putty on sides.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,365
  • throat with resin hard.jpg
    throat with resin hard.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,352
Well, finally got back on the tools this weekend to complete the second horn.

Have stained the horns in a Cabolts walnut, with gloss.

Quite a hard job sanding and preparing. If I do another pair, I'd stain prior to final assembly.

Still don't have my new amp, but initial presentation from the horns is OUTSTANDING...I'm very happy. Plenty of detail and superb sound stage. No metal ringing like Altec 511 horn.

I chickened out and did not fit the fins to the horn throat...reading that sound stage depth can be improved without fins....like TAD and Fostex horns.

New six channel amp to arrive soon.....can't wait.

Attachments

• completed 5.jpg
    completed 5.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 545
  • completed 4.jpg
    completed 4.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 556
  • completed 3.jpg
    completed 3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 586
  • completed 2.jpg
    completed 2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 595
  • completed 1.jpg
    completed 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,305
Reactions: 1 user
My CAD 'cutting plan' only used four for one horn section (bottom), consisting x3 24mm layers and x1 18mm layer.

Subsequent horns I intend on building I'll use a calculation to create an accurate profile enabling a true 3D shape by using a 2D router....then it's only a question of sanding to finish off....too easy.

Attachments

• A-290-S_Wood_Horn.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 413
My CAD 'cutting plan' only used four for one horn section (bottom), consisting x3 24mm layers and x1 18mm layer.

Subsequent horns I intend on building I'll use a calculation to create an accurate profile enabling a true 3D shape by using a 2D router....then it's only a question of sanding to finish off....too easy.

do you have those as a .DWG or similar CAD format?

That's not fair showing such lovely machining equipment...! Please pack it up and ship to Sydney immediately.

What a job it was just moving it 100 miles. 4008 pounds of steel. I like that phase plug. I wonder if that is hollowed out? I looked for a bigger lathe, but this was all I could find in my price range. However, if I could find the original bed extention for it, I could turn a 64 foot long ships mast!!!!!!

P.S., I can turn a 30 inch x 76 inch inboard and a 88 inch piece outboard. How low can I go with an 88 inch mouth???

Maybe 45-50 hz.

Would be over the top though, and very difficult for room placement...for correct flair it would need to be very long.

Why not aim for mouth diameter around 43 inches (110cm). This would slightly larger than AG Trio mid bass.

Then, what materials to use...!? CNC'd layers of MDF rings?

One of my all time fave pics is the jeff Jackson 90cm horn in mahogany laminated pieces.

jeff Jackson wood horn - Google Search