Q:monacor sph-165kep

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's strange why Monacor have not been let in on the high end scene, for what I know the mids and bass units are far superior to most units at pretty much any price. The tweeters from Monacor are though hard to deal with, I tried and failed (badly). That could very well be a matter of knowledge, but it sure takes more than I'm sporting :)

The only reason to not use the Monacor mid/-bass units would be average efficiency, but that's usually not what people are looking for when building 3 way speakers anyway. They definitely can match any of the Seas units, and that makes it hard for me to understand why people pay many times the price of a Monacor unit ot get Seas instead???

Magura:)

The tweeters are indeed another story, but there are some good ones lurking in monacors program.

DT-107 , great 1" softdome and low price! very nice overall sound, clear and open but never harsh. The only thing is that it has ferrofluid, so you it may not reveal every detail.

DT-25N very small 1" neo unit, I ones used it as a replacement for some ol' BNS loudspeakers wich had one defekt peerless tweeter.
This one sounds great! similar to the DT-107 but smaller.

DT-25TI small 1" titanium neo unit, superb linearity and distortion!

These units all have been tested in Klang&Ton (german magazine)

Then there is one new "high-end" unit, the DT-400
A softdome with a low FS (890hz) and NO ferrofluid. I never heard one but I'm curious about how this one stands up against those noferro's from SEAS.

Hi,

I builded up an floorstandig Speaker I called Turandot, with two faboulus SPH 165 KEP as Lowmid, an BG Neo3PDRi as Tweeter and an Nova MDS06 as Bass. After different trys, I use the Monacors in an Closed Cab of 20 Liters with no Lowpass. They roll of about 67Hz. The BG starts about 2500Hz and the Combination of the Monacors and the BG sounds very dynamic, present and Voices are great. I developed with an Conductor an Soundmeister and Musicians of the Theater where I am Working.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Greetings

Rogé

All Monacor

the SPH165KEP and the SPH255 are tweaked with FFL

the DT25Ti and the SPH315 are factory FFLed

Uli

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Attachments

• img_0219a.jpg
    img_0219a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 590
Got two 165kep,

I noticed the same problem with the phase plug that do some noise at high level.

And the specs given by monacor a false, completly, mine measures with a fs of about 45Hz (after breaking).
There was a test by a german magazine, and they find the same T/S parameters.
So either Monacor give wrong measures (not the first time...), or their supplier has serious QC problem...
Anyway the curve I measure was very nice, up to 5khz without big problems. Unfortunatly they are not shielded (a must do in my case) so I do not use them anymore.

There is a thread here about the T/S problems, with the link to the german test.

isamac said:

And the specs given by monacor a false, completly, mine measures with a fs of about 45Hz (after breaking).
There was a test by a german magazine, and they find the same T/S parameters.
So either Monacor give wrong measures (not the first time...), or their supplier has serious QC problem...
Anyway the curve I measure was very nice, up to 5khz without big problems. Unfortunatly they are not shielded (a must do in my case) so I do not use them anymore.

There is a thread here about the T/S problems, with the link to the german test.

isamac , can you post a Link to , or a clue how to find , that Thread about the T/S problems , and the Link to the German magazine's test please ?
Fs varies between samples of drivers , particually if from different production batches , but it should not be as much different from the Monacor specified 30Hz to that you found at 45Hz !
If you are able , will you post a link to your measured curve please ?
Thankyou ,

4real and Tomac still reading this forum ?

4real said:

Sure ;) I can post some measurements later if you like?

Hi fellows , it would be really interesting to see those measurements if you are able to post them please , and also to read of any further
results either of you acheived with the 165KEP .
I see a recent re-interest in those Monacor drivers in this forum , and I'm considering trying a pair myself , but given costs including shipping , it would be useful to know a bit more about users' experiences with them before spending .
Thankyou ,

I have used 165kep with xt19 and 22taf/g tweeters.

2xSPH165kep & xt19
monacor3kq9.jpg

monacor1wh6.jpg

2xSPH165kep & 22taf/g
On axis

30 deg

Temporary I have no more meas. IMHO 165kep is great in its price!!!

RogeRoth
Nice job !!

Thanks Tomac and borys !
Great looking speakers borys ! - and looks like a lot of work , thus I'm glad you are happy with the results .

Thanks for the measurements & plots - helpful !

Now it seems if I use the 165KEP , I'll get less bass extension than I had expected , but will get an OK midrange .
An alternate with Monacor seems to be the SPH-200KE that another contrbutor to the Monacor debate used . This seems would have good bass extension , but will require a low cross-over frequency in the mids , or , a high-slope cross-over to get its response down before that sharp peak at 7kHz - shown on Monacor's own data sheet , and likely is about there as such is typical of fibreglass cone drivers , and I'm surprised the 165KEP and the 135 version don't have such sharp peak break-ups , albeit higher in frequency than for the 200KE .

HI
I have a pair Monacor SPH-165KEP drivers for trade or sale .
These are brand new drivers still in the box , never mounted or powered up . I purchased these from Germany since at N America not available ..

I interested on toroidal transformers for Class A amplifier from 2x15to18V or cash .
I sell these driver because I don't have time enough , to many project have to be done .

Please let me know if you interested .
Regards

Hello
I also purchased the SPH-200KE after I sold my SPH-165KEP , since to me very good driver it has better and deeper bass .
I suggest use it in a 3 way system !
I will use in 3 way system so the speed of the driver not a problem .For mids I use Gorlich Podzust ..That a very fast driver .
Greets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.