Which approach for best results? Home theater and Music system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I have been doing research for a long time now and have also done some builds from around the web.

I think I am finally ready to try and take my speaker obsession to the next level.

I am wanting to build a system that has perfectly matched LCR for my main living room for home theater and music listening.

The way I see it I have a couple approaches.

Please Note: I do not like the way horns sound. I know the ecnowave designs are big right now and I also dont have the funds to try and build synergy clones.

Anways:

I can build some speakers with 8" Coaxial (the Failtal Pro offerings are my top pick) and either two or one 8" midbass drivers similar to a JTR Triple 8 that way I can have a horizontal center channel that matches perfectly. I am leaning to only have the 1 coax and 1 8" woofer in each cab as that will cut down on size but I can go to 24" tall.(I need to keep these as monitors) The reason for having the 8" mid-bass is because I want to cross over before the midrange in the coaxial starts to work too hard and cause any sort of additional distortion to the treble due to cone movement.

The other option would be to go more of a "hi-fi" route and I was thinking about possibly going with a 4" midrange from scanspeak (possibly revelator) and then having a 10" woofer and tweeter. With this approach I would try to focus mainly on quality of the sound but would want to keep it hopefully in the high 80s range.

My reason for this choice is it would allow the mirange to be controlled primarily by one driver throughout the majority of its range. In my experience this seems to give the best clarity.

Then the center channel could have a WTMW alignment to avoid lobbing but that may have to be with 8" woofers instead of the 10" due to size.

I am at a bit of a loss of what way I should go.

Can anyone offer any input?

Thanks,
B

One of the main reasons for me wanting to take this on and doing a complete design on my own is to learn crossover design.

They way I plan to make this work is by having an external crossover so that I can make adjustments/improvements as I learn more.

This will be done by building the speaker to have binding posts for each driver. This will also allow me to set up a speaker actively with a miniDSP to help figure out the proper crossover frequencies.

No matter what I build there will be additional subwoofers. In my experience you have to use multiple subwoofers to have the best bass because of the nulls in my room.

The Jenzen Illuminator looks good but is too big unless I can build a smaller version. However, seeing as how it is a transmission line I dont really know if you can get it much smaller than what it is for the bass driver.

Going the route with Dual 10" drivers in one cab may work out great. I was thinking that last night when I was away from the computer but the limit to that could possibly be center channel integration due to size. However, I could skip the second 10" driver in the center channel and just have the coaxial there....

The idea of using a 6.5" driver like the Faital Pro that you show above is certainly an option I am willing to explore further. Right off the top of my head it would possibly work well with a 12" bass driver and then some sort of tweeter...

I know that I said I dont like horns but a small wave guide may work well there above that 6.5" mid. Which then also makes me wonder if the horn that I did not care for was possibly just specific to that design as I imagine a smaller horn could be less prone to HOMs....

Going the route of the 6.5" with small horn on top would also make for a pretty good center with possibly dual 8" mid-bass drivers for the center rather than a 12".

Another option would be to still keep the 8" coax from Failal in the design and then have a 12" bass driver for the mains and 8" mid-bass driver for the center.

For some reason I think an appropriate name for a speaker with a 8" coax and 12" bass driver would be "Fat Lady Sings".

Also I think it may be worth pointing out that the best speaker I have heard have used dome tweeters but I am well aware that they are very limited and can have a very small sweet spot which is not the greatest for home theater uses. Or am I mistaken about how small their sweet spot is?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.