Now that's what I call determination

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally I was sceptical about the air in the speaker walls caused by his method of bending the boards. The originals are not grooved but bent under heated conditions.

There are obviously gpoing to be some differences but how much of that will be noticable is difficult to guess.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Very nice work... and from the look of the materials, effort and equipment involved I would say more than 11k pounds Sterling went into this reproduction. If one has access to a full blown production factory floor like this, maybe doable, but the amount of time looks immense. Determination AND access to shop with equipment are necessary.

Originally I was sceptical about the air in the speaker walls caused by his method of bending the boards. The originals are not grooved but bent under heated conditions.

There are obviously gpoing to be some differences but how much of that will be noticable is difficult to guess.

The method is well known for speaker enclosures - Dali Euphonia is made this way

wow ... and wow

impressive work, and design
but IMO ... too ugly to look at every day
(or its me who are too old)

is it a good speaker, soundwise ?
Truthfully, I was not blown away by the sound when I heard them last year. That said, I've always found B&W to be a bit too...clinical? Superb accuracy, superb sound, but to me they sound like the best possible monitor. I can't put my finger on it, but they've always just sounded dry or that they're all about precision rather than musicality. The latter is what I think makes a speaker great: you bring the musicians into the room rather than perfectly reproduce what was recorded. I know this sounds like rubbish, but I thinket not a coincidence that every pair of B&W's I've heard has this quality.

Yes, that technique is called kerfing. The grooves are typically also bonded together with some form of binder. When I was making car audio enclosures with flared ports, I would make a paste of MDF dust and woodglue, and basically use it as a filler. As was just mentioned, it's a very common and reliable technique when done properly.

Yes, that technique is called kerfing. The grooves are typically also bonded together with some form of binder. When I was making car audio enclosures with flared ports, I would make a paste of MDF dust and woodglue, and basically use it as a filler. As was just mentioned, it's a very common and reliable technique when done properly.

Yes, in the article he mentions that the outer skin is filled, he uses multiple layers of MDF to eventually make a cabinet over 1" thick.

Looking at the construction it looks pretty close to the original, whether he's got one to copy or has just copied the design idea I don't know.

The cabinet is different because the original isn't encased in fibreglass. The original midrange enclosure was also not made of MDF AKAIK.

Yes, in the article he mentions that the outer skin is filled, he uses multiple layers of MDF to eventually make a cabinet over 1" thick.

Looking at the construction it looks pretty close to the original, whether he's got one to copy or has just copied the design idea I don't know.

The cabinet is different because the original isn't encased in fibreglass. The original midrange enclosure was also not made of MDF AKAIK.
Indeed it is not. The mid enclosure is made of a composite which they claim is acoustically superior.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.