Acoustic Elegance - Worth the money?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So simple question on face value but i'd like some opinions.

If I am going to be paying for UK VAT duty to import some 15" drivers, are they worth it compared to woofers that are readily available in the UK?

http://www.precision-devices.com/file-downloads/PD158DataSheet110912.pdf

I was looking at ^that^ for a low QTS woofer.

To cross to this compression driver (in a horn) anywhere between 500-1000hz.

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/CP800Ti.pdf

Considering a pair of AE TD15H's will cost $790 excluding shipping VS $563 for the precision device woofers.

For home use in a large room, will i see the difference between those woofers?

Also any opinions on the Beyma CD? Has very low distortion from what I gather.

Active EQ system to dial into room.

This would be my preference for a 15" pro driver:

SB Acoustics :: 15" SB42FHC75-6

It actually has decent excursion capability for eq.ing, though not the lower Qts that you are looking for. I also wouldn't take this driver much over 500 Hz either.

In fact the lack of excursion *might* be a real problem for most low Qts drivers.. and there the solution would be multiple drivers/greater surface area.

This would be my preference for a 15" pro driver:

SB Acoustics :: 15" SB42FHC75-6

It actually has decent excursion capability for eq.ing, though not the lower Qts that you are looking for.

In fact the lack of excursion *might* be a real problem for most low Qts drivers.. and there the solution would be multiple drivers/greater surface area.

Looks decent like all the SB acoustic stuff seems to be, it is however the price of 2 (AE or PD) for just 1 driver in the UK £400 or $625. Its outside of my initial budget.

that would fit the budget indeed, do these come recommended?

Never heard them, but within a certain range based on T/S param's, they are all pretty similar below 400 Hz.

(..and their own measurements are showing pretty good linearity to 1 kHz, and they don't *look* bogus.)

Personally I'd be more comfortable saying use *2* of these drivers when using equalization for the low end.. BUT that depends a lot on how you'll use them (..spl limits, lower freq. limits, etc..)

Never heard them, but within a certain range based on T/S param's, they are all pretty similar below 400 Hz.

(..and their own measurements are showing pretty good linearity to 1 kHz, and they don't *look* bogus.)

Personally I'd be more comfortable saying use *2* of these drivers when using equalization for the low end.. BUT that depends a lot on how you'll use them (..spl limits, lower freq. limits, etc..)

i was basically just musing, find 5 or 6 decent drivers and then sim various guises of them and see which gives something useful.

Hi Gaf

I would suggest just making sure the PD drivers were designed for studio monitoring, and not just sound reinforcement. The PDs are good drivers, but horses for courses (too a degree- lots of sound reinforcement drivers sound very good, but it's not what they were designed for.) The AE drivers were designed specifically for home and studio environments. One thing that does make the AE drivers special is their low inductance.

As far as ATC is concerned, here is a link:
ATC Studio Drive Units
ATC make some of the best drivers out there. How do they compare to the AE and the PD? Well, unless someone has done a direct comparison, very difficult to say.

At the end of the day, if I had to venture an opinion, I'd say go for the AE drivers. The fact that the AEs were specifically designed for the type of application you're aiming at, probably gives them an advantage. The ATC is good too, but they were designed for very specific applications and with very specific cross-overs in mind (as per ATCs own designs.) The AE (IMHO) will probably be easier to work with. Just my $0.02 (or is that £0.02. :D)

Enjoy,
Deon

I don't have any absolute direct comparison, and I won't battle a flame war, but:

I bought a pair of AE18's, they were touted as JBL 2242 killers. The AE had the same general sound character but were more than 5 full dB down across the spectrum. In measurement and music for me they did nothing better than the 2242 while taking nearly four times the power to do it. I tried to get mean with them but they seriously lacked the "get up and go" that the 2242's have.

I measured them and listened to them in 6cft box pairs and then 9.5cft boxes, side by side on two channels of the same amp.

I was so impressed that when the AE15's and 12's showed up, they didn't even make it out of the boxes and were sold off as new.

I do have a pair of PD2150's and they are really cool! I have nothing to campare them with directly however.

I wish I could easily get PD stuff.

My two cents.

Barry.

Reactions: 1 user
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
sound wise, are they good? or just pro drivers made to be played loud without much regard to quality.

what do you expect ?
they are woofers, thats all
and subs only, if you speak hifi
its only natural

but PrecisonDevices might have a few other better suited woofers if you also want midbass and low midrange from same woofer
15" might be a better size
but you may have to go for 18" to get lower bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.