What would be a good cross over frequency for these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
8" woofer in general need to be crossed over at ~1.6 -1.8kHz to ensure proper power response (off axis). Tweeters are normally crossed over at 1 octave above resonance so a cross point of 2-2.2k would be fine. Now the difference of these would be between 1.8 and 2k. This is where the crossover should be, lower would be better, but tweeters have excessive distortion in the low end of their range so we wouldn't want to go lower, not with your tweeter. Also a stock crossover is not optimum as these crossover points are based on an 8Ω load. The impedance at the crossover point is defined by the driver used and is not a fixed resistance so this need to be compensated for it to work properly.

Would be better to have one custom made, and many here can help with the aspect of the design. It will cost more, but the end result would be correct giving the best possible sound for your driver choices. Perhaps System7 will chime in, he's excellent with crossover design (tho not the only one :)

Additionally the width of the front baffle plays into the overal sound quality and integration. Normally this width is ¼ wavelength of the crossover frequency or in your case ~8" with a roundover to reduce diffraction. Overal width would be ~9.5" with 3/4" roundovers, 10" with 1" roundovers, so on and so forth.

You're blowing my mind right now i love it, I'm googling everything you're saying haha.

Yea I saw that my tweeters were rated 3k-20k so didnt want to go with 3k since its cut-off and went with 3.5k instead. yeesh I hope this doesnt sound terrible.

The woofers call for a 0.14 ft.³ enclosure, but will i have to make it bigger? They mean 0.14 ft.³ per woofer right?

Well there are other choices that can be made other than a small sealed enclosure, especially if we want more bass on the bottom end, which I'm sure you would.

Bass Reflex is easy, Transmission Lines, like an MLTL to me personally sound better, cleaner and easier to place in room. Tho the later is far larger length wise (think 45" tower 2 way) and more difficult to design correctly, not impossible tho. Depends on the driver

I should note that I plan to use 2 of these woofers and 2 of these tweeters in a boombox style application.

I know, I know, it's probably been talked about to death and asked about but, I'm not asking how to build a boombox, im asking how to enclose these speakers properly with the crossover i bought. Boombox design can come later ;]

Thanks for the awesome information you've given me so far though, keep it coming!

And before anyone mentions the boominator or boominator mini thread, i'm not interested in a 4 way front back application. Where as its already pre-planned and pre-tuned and would be easier for me to throw together, I'm trying to stick with the original style

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.