No sound from my speakers! Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a few JBL pro 28 speakers, and they all worked fine when I took them out of my old location, but bringing them to my new location seemed to have damaged them in some way. 2 of the 5 still work completely fine, but im wondering what happened to the others? I get a faint sound from a few of them, certainly doesnt seem like they are blown. Is there a fuse that may have blown? Could it actually have been the speaker that blew somehow? Is there a way to fix it? I am pretty good with all DIY, so if there is a guide somewhere someone could direct me to that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

You can see how i tested it with the battery, got no response. Not sure if there is enough power in that battery to spark a response from the speakers.

There it is opened up, can't really see much wrong in there. Actual speakers look fine, no holes or damage. It may have been hooked up by my roomate at some point, but if it was blown wouldnt sound at least come out? Just really distorted? Also, they were kept in a storage facility, so they were exposed to mild temperature changes, but never outside.

JlRxuUo.jpg

nlD6DgN.jpg

b8kra76.jpg

Great pics! And looks good.
There will be no movement in the driver if the coil in the speaker is "open" - they won't do a thing.
Try a lot of quick things to chase it down, hook the woofer directly to the amp (by-pass the xo).
Check to see if your amp is okay, I do know you said two were working fine.

Can always pull a good one apart and switch woofers - there are many combinations that you can do.

Last edited:
So in the picture above i basically just cut the black and red cables coming from inside the speaker box, and hooked them directly to the black and red on the amp. No sound, is it blown "burned open"? Also, I've never been a big forum user, but you are AWESOME! You respond fast and know what your talking about, thanks so much!

it really sounds like the speaker is dead; the coil got hot and simply melted - the coil connection can also break.

Don't feel bad, put one one of my favorite drivers on top of the trash today- gone now (it was also open).
Make sure you double check everything before doing anything drastic. Might be hard to find those drives.

Yes saw the cap, I thought that was a tuff of insulation from the cabinet, but if you hooked it up direct and no sound that cap won't matter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.