Ruark Sabre voice coil replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Recently acquired a pair of Ruark Sabre speakers, but one was DOA. Upon taking it apart and removing the mid range cone and testing it's impedance I got a zero reading. I guessed the voice coil was shorted, plus I coild see scorch marks on the spider's material.

So I took it apart and found that it was indeed busted!

IMG_0531_zps7dbc1d80.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I guess someone had put too much power through it, or it has just died with age, either way it was not working.

So to find a new voice coil. Yes, it may well prove better to source some new drivers, I will replace the other one in the other speaker as well, but I would like the challenge of fixing, or attempting to fix, these myself :)

Does anybody know of a UK supplier of voice coils? Plenty in the USA and China.

Thanks

Peter

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Try attaching your pictures directly :)

To add a photo, files or non standard files.

First click "go advanced" in the box below the "quick reply" message box. Doesn't matter if you decide half way through a message to do that, it carries it forward.

Then click "Manage attachements". Maximise the new Window so that you can see all the text.

Click browse in the first box at the top and find your picture. Repeat for any more pictures.
Click upload... a message appears "uploading"
When complete the files will show as being attached. Now click the small text that says "close this window"

The pictures should now be attached and when you submit your post they will appear.

Make sure your pics aren't too big, a couple of 100k is plenty, and many members object when they are massive and it alters the margins
It tells you in the attachments window what max sizes are allowed.

If you want to attach a file that has a non standard format for example excel, circuit simulation etc then try putting the files in a zipped folder and attaching that.

That looks really bad. I'm no expert but i'd have thought the amp would have to be faulty to do that much damage.

Sorry, can't help with the replacement voice coil. I know there are some companies that will repair speakers. I had a Kef B110 repaired by Wembleyloudspeaker.com. They took forever to do the work and when it came back it didn't sound anything like the other one. They fitted a fabric dust cap, when it should have been paper? and sealed.

Bit of an ask to replace a voicecoil on an unknown driver really! :D

You just buy a pair of new woofers. I'd measure the outer diameter and match the Qts to the box. Looks like SEAS or Vifa to me.

Figure out whether these are polypropylene or paper cones and it shouldn't be hard to find replacements for what is a decent speaker using good drivers and tweak the crossover for level.

We have done this sort of thing before:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/236200-designing-crossover-enclosure-without-data-sheet-help-please.html

The fact is that woofers are woofers really. Much the same. :cool:

Ah, we're getting there. You need to measure the woofer outer diameter, how many screws and the cutout hole size on the cabinet. Also estimate the volume in litres and establish if it's reflex or closed box.

Vifa/Scanspeak have a fairly consistent range of chassis.

I'd like to see the crossover schematic in some form too.

Measure the outer diameter of the tweeter plate too and find out whether it's soft dome or metal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.