Can anyone recommended me a High end woofer between 4.5" and 6" ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Was just wondering if anyone can recommend a Woofer or woofer/mid-range or even full range speaker that's between 4.5" and 6" that would work well in a small cabinet/box that's comparable to or is of High-End quality.

Ill either be using them in a Car or a small near field monitor speaker in a caravan, using LspCad to find out crossover parts etc

Any help appreciated
Rik

It's difficult to make any kind of recommendation in this case. You didn't state anything about what this driver is supposed to do! What are the:
F3
SPL
distortion
available power
crossover point to driver in next highest band (e.d. midrange or tweeter)

This type of "what is the best..." threads really show what the poster doesn't t know... that audio is full of compromises and there is no "best", only better in this way or that way and worse in the other.

-Charlie

Think he's specifying high quality midbass and what is typical in auto e.g. small box, 4Ω, deep enough bass that will be augmented with cabin gain. Which btw would be totally different for the two types mentioned requiring different drivers for each application. Normally these drivers are fairly low efficiency, HES drivers for competition only and so on.

Something like this Peerless 830946 6.5" might fit the bill.

scanspeak classic 18w/8545

"This Scan-speak 7" features the heavily damped and carbon fibre impregnated paper cone that dampens resonances normally associated with stiff cones. The magnet system is the new SD-1 system which eliminates modulation and dynamic distortion, as well as clipping distortion created as it exceeds its maximum linear excursion. These designs all together make a drive unit with a very "open" sound with excellent detailing combined with low coloration and very precise imaging. Cast frame, rubber surround." (from madisound).

The Madisound Speaker Store

Not cheap, but I've been looking at it for a while now.

Used in Melin vsm mxm.
Merlin Music VSM MXM Speakers Review
and meadowlark audio shearwater hot rod.
Meadowlark HotRod Shearwater loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
and ODYSSEY AUDIO Lorilei Speakers
Odyssey Khartago Candela Lorilei review

troels has used it.
Compact Studio MonitorKIT #

and even northcreek
"Suffice to say that the engineers at SCAN-SPEAK have used every resource to develop and manufacture a motor structure which minimizes or eliminates the common second, third, and intermodulation distortions found in virtually all conventional loudspeaker drivers, resulting in a 7" woofer with exceptional low end performance even at very high volume levels while providing midrange purity rivaling many smaller drivers. The SCAN-SPEAK motor structure is unique and patent protected."
North Creek Full Range Loudspeaker Kits

lol, oh, you need a 6" don't you ? lol

Just a thought.............

Norman

How would a 3" frd be a good match for a 5" woofer? A 5" woofer, especially the one mentioned here, should have no problem mating with a decent 1" tweeter.

Who said anything about a 5" woofer (other than you) when the prefered size of driver spec'd by the OP is 4.5-6"? I suggested a 6.5" pushing this limit a bit to max bass response.

Let me ask you a question. How much do you know about car audio and what it takes to hear it correctly in an auto environment? As stated this peerless woofer crossed at the frequency suggested would work fine with the 3" suggested. Also placement of such drivers for best overall sound in a highly reflective / absorptive space is critical. Compensate for cabin gain and you have a very clean, non booming, and clear setup optimized for this use. If the OP feels the need for a tweeter then so be it. Cross above 5k with an inexpensive
(or pricey) tweeter, several very good ones can be had cheap, solve the dispersion issue @HF if that becomes a problem.

Also note he would be using an car amp, rated for 4Ω, derate the amp by 40% typically for a typical 8Ω driver. Now he looks to by a bigger amp.:rolleyes: MTM setup would work great for this, but only if you have the space to orientate it properly.

Personally I'd use those 3"ers combined with a Airbourne RT-20021 3/4" aerostriction tweeter crossed around 5k for a wickedly clean low distortion (where it counts) system.

Perhaps reading up some Highend auto setups before biting my hand next time :)

BTW I really haven't done much car audio in some time and don't want to. Won't help those whom want BOOM BOOM BOOM mud which is 99% and are better suited for a place like MAD MARK's car audio.
Two years ago a friend asked for a system upgrade for his Equus, something that would approach his home system. That system is well over 60k. Different woofers were used but the 3" FR88EX and RT-20021 were the same. Once dialed in his jaw dropped, it sounds like my home system! Good enough praise for me.

He'll wet his pants when he hears my (cheap) active speakers beat his home system, which is biamped with Krell mono blocks (not that great IMHO). Yeah he bought the marketing farm, complete with power conditioners, super high end interconnects blah blah blah. He's is in audiophile burnout mode from the $$$$$, the salesmen and the mags bleeding him dry with marketing psychobabble.

Well, Thanks for all this input I don't have time to reply properly at the moment we just bought our car well (people carrier) Toyota Lucida, pretty nice inside and this is the car for the sound system to be built in. Iv'e purchased two speakers

Pair of AUDAX HM130C0 5-1/4" bass/mid ( £74.00 ) used often as a Midrange in 3-way systems

Pair of Audax HM170Z18 6-1/2" Aerogel Woofer (£51.00)

Ive also owned for some time,
Dayton RS52AN-8
Dayton Audio ND20FB-4 Rear-Mount 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeter (perfect size for car mounted ear level)
last but not least
Celestion HF 1001 (vintage tweeter)

Both sets of Audax came from ebay in superb condition from sellers who either didn't use them or want to change setup, perhaps using both Audax together is a bad combination. I got a bit over exited on the bidding as even this price is high considering how much we spent on this Toyota lol

So anyway have got some good software for calculating crossovers and cabinets etc, Lspcad, LEAP, and some others. my knowledge is very little in the speaker building area but will be fun to see what results we can get.

Would be nice to get close to get above 85db efficiency but not realy a problem.

My car amp might be 8ohms not sure, its a DIY amp copy of Jean Hiraga 20w "Class-a"
with DC-DC 12v to +/- 24v
Of corse some would think it crazy running a class-a amp in a car, but heck i like those amps.

If i need more bass ill think about that later :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.